• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    Quote:

Simon wrote:
    I suppose most PPC classics are towerized anyway with zorroslots or pci slots so why bother with AGA in this case ?

Well as an example you could look at AmigaOS 4.1 - which works on AGA, and see how painful that is. I'm sure MorphOS PowerUP would be better but we are talking degrees of painfulness here.

Even the old Zorro graphic cards are very slow on AmigaOS 4.1 - you really want a BVision, CVision, Voodoo 3 or Radeon 9250 to really start to get something useful.

Having said that, I don't see any reason why MorphOS 3.x wouldn't perform well on a properly equipped Classic machine. Certainly it should not be "slower" than 1.4.5 PowerUP I would think.

On a System with a GREX it should be quite acceptable other than Youtube and some advanced games.

Nope, not really. The bee's knees for for classic Amiga is a working CSPPC, which only takes 128M. The classic version of MorphOS would have to be stripped down to run on only 128M.

Don't get me wrong, it would be a cool novelty but probably not worth the developers' time. All the PPC cards out in the wild were flaky when new and are getting old now. If a new working PPC accelerator came out for the classic with more RAM, then it would be party time :-p

I'll respectfully debate your view based on activity I see in the Classic market and with OS4.1 Classic and sales figures I *know* about (for OS4.x Classic). I don't know MorphOS PowerUP "donations" or # of users, though. But PPC cards are changing hands on an almost daily basis in the various used marketplaces around the world, and there is certainly opportunity to gain some users. Will it be a significant amount? No, but it's far from zero.

But right now it's not a very promising prospect for those Classic PPC users who wish to run MorphOS - an unsupported old version of MorphOS is the only thing available that you can't even register and it's up-front stated that there is zero support. Free yes, and support? Yes, unofficially via IRC from several dedicated MorphOS developers and this Forum (which is great!), but I think users would actually *pay* money for an up-to-date version.

Maybe you have a different perspective and numbers (since I think you ran a shop and sold Classic stuff, but at least that is what I see.

It's fine if MorphOS (or even OS4) developers and management choose not to support or cater to these users, I don't really care, but I *personally* would like MorphOS 3.x support on Classic, mainly because the Classics are a hobby for me and I like to push the limits on them.

Maybe it's just me and I'm more of a retro-vintage/living-in-the-80's guy: My AmigaOne X1000 and MacMini (1.5GHz 64MB Radeon with MorphOS 3.x) sit mostly unused and my A4000's and A1200/PPC get more use. For me it's more fun.

There are ways to utilize additional memory on the A3/4000(T), and Blizzard PPC can take 256MB of RAM. A4000 has 128MB limit on the FAST slot, true, but there is 16MB additional ram on the motherboard and even more ram can be added via Zorro III or graphics cards. That last two type of memory is certainly slow, but Classic users aren't necessarily needing or wanting the fastest machines out there, but they do want to run the latest software where possible.

How much memory does MorphOS 3.x take to do a clean boot? If it's more than OS4.1 Classic then something is wrong ;) Certainly if it's >128MB something in definitely wrong :)

[ Edited by HammerD 27.06.2014 - 19:44 ]
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »28.06.14 - 01:56
    Profile Visit Website