compatibility list for 68k programs in MorphZone library
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Like the topic says. What do You think?
  • »21.04.11 - 07:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I dont think it is essential. I compiled small list years ago on my A1200 running some MorphOS 0.x beta.

To make it useful it shuold have more information than just works/doesnt work:

* an application name and version (it must be possible have multiple versions for same application)
    * OS version it was tested on
    * when it was tested
    * who tested
    * what is needed to make it work
    * an explanation (if possible) when it does not work
    * application category (to find usable software)
    * user commentary

But I feel many users wouldnt use it...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »21.04.11 - 08:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    XDelusion
    Sounds like a great idea to me.
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »22.04.11 - 00:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I would like to have such a list, specially since I have invested so much money to buy original, boxed Amiga 68k software & games.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.04.11 - 02:35
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    If you already own this boxed software, why do you want to rely on a never to be completed list rather than trying on your own? Just bring it to this formula: system-friendly software most probably will work. If you ran it on your Workbench once with AmigaOS 2.x or 3.x, there shouldn't be much against running it on Ambient either. Software that bangs hardware won't run. This includes most games. Use UAE for these.

Establishing such a database will need a very lot of work. Work that can be better put into something else. Unless you want to buy some very ancient and crude stuff every modern (i.e. including last 10-15 year old) software will work. In my opinion such kind of list will be of help to just a handful of people to the max. Too few to justify the effort of a huge data collection rather than just inserting the disk and seeing with your own eyes.
  • »22.04.11 - 17:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I am not asking anyone to do this work, and I agree that it would be time consuming and of little value, except to a few curios people and potential new MorphOS users that would like to look through a list to help them decide if MorphOS is something they would want to try.

If however there were a "Sticky" thread here in the forums that everyone could add titles of software and games that work, plus any details that are necessary to get it running, then everyone could benefit from the group effort. If you are not interested, don't contribute to posting to the list, but if you are, then it would be there for you to add to after testing some software program or game that is not already on the list. It doesn't have to be something difficult or complicated, just a forum thread that is "Stuck" to the front page all the time, for people to see and add to when they feel like it, and for users here to check from time to time to see hints that other people have posted on how to get a certain software program or game to run on MorphOS.

Edit: If ASiegel does not want to make it a "Sticky" thread, always on the front page of the forums, I will ask him if I can put something like this idea in the MorphZone Library instead (as I now notice is the topic of this thread).

[ Edited by amigadave 23.04.2011 - 00:59 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.04.11 - 08:57
    analogkid
    Personally, I would appreciate some list like the AppDB on WineHQ.org.
    The tested applications can be rated related to their grade of compatibility, what does work and what doesn't, and giving some general comments regarding requirements etc.
  • »23.04.11 - 10:52
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    I won't hinder you and others to establish such kind of list. I just wanted to point out that when you cannot run an old application or game on MorphOS natively, you at least can run it inside UAE. This will always work due to UAE's high compatibility. So from my point of view a general note to try UAE in case a software does not run is of more value than a huge list with at least 8 side conditions (see itix' post).

This whole subject brings another idea to my mind: since MorphOS 2.x we have a boot menu like the good old Amiga has. UAE is open source, old Kick-ROMs are freeware. Although I'd rather like to see modernity and progress for MorphOS than being cluttered with ancient, unsupported stuff just for picking up a bunch of boys from oldschool, there could be a version of UAE integrated into the boot menu to let people run their old software some kind of "natively" by selecting this option in the boot menu. Think of selecting "Amiga Kickstart 1.3" inside the boot menu and getting the ROM animation then to insert your real world disc into some Catweazle-connected disc drive or selecting an ADF file from any connected mass storage device. Remember that when a software is that old that it doesn't run on MorphOS, you won't have that much of a benefit to run it inside an embedded UAE environment which you have to install at first because you cannot share data to/from it, anyway (besides being able to go on working with your usual applications).
  • »23.04.11 - 13:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > old Kick-ROMs are freeware.

Are they? Really?
  • »23.04.11 - 15:09
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    I was sure to have read this years ago on any serious webpage or even in a printed magazine that ROM 1.x and 2.x were freely downloadable while 3.x was not. As I never was interested in this, I did not track it any further. Looking for a serious source now, I fail. All I found out now is that Cloanto seems to be a (the only?) legal offerer of any Amiga Kickstart ROM version that has ever existed. So I might have been wrong all the time. In case I am, forget about my proposal. Any definite answer would be appreciated, though.
  • »23.04.11 - 16:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I might have been wrong all the time. In case I am,
    > forget about my proposal.

Okay :-)

> Any definite answer would be appreciated, though.

No Kickstart ROM version is freeware.
  • »23.04.11 - 16:48
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    trotter
    I would agree with the sticky as well.

The list would be good even if there are replacement applications since a new user like me would like to be able to get things done in familiar apps until we can find replacements that are MorphOS native.

An equivalent database would also be useful like some linux distros have: Word equivant = amigawriter final writer etc

Martin N
    Running MorphOS v3.18 on Mac mini 1.5GHz 64meg VRAM,1gig ram.
    Palm T3 pda along with pixel 4a GrapheneOS smartphone. Updated August 2023
  • »23.04.11 - 20:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > An equivalent database would also be useful like some linux
    > distros have: Word equivant = amigawriter final writer etc

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6788&forum=3&start=12
  • »23.04.11 - 23:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    IMHO it's a good idea to have this list and if possible to add comments about install instructions and tweaks needed to make them work, when necessary.

I'm sure MOS wants to be appealing to a broad base of users, not only software gurus; offering that list would be of great help. This list can be stored as a sticky somewhere in the forum.
    MacMini G4 1.5GHz with MorphOS 3.9 FPGA MiST w/AmigaOS 3.9 (PFS3), FPGA Replay w/AmigaOS3.9, Amiga 1200 SCSI CD-RW, X-SURF 100 w/Rapidroad USB, External FDD with Chinon and Gotek units and Acer Aspire One ICAROS
  • »07.07.12 - 00:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Here is a list of some prominent 68k classic programs i've run on morph

1. Cinema 4d
    2. Lightwave (cgx patch)
    3. Pixel Pro
    4. Image Fx
    5. Photogenics 5
    6. Dopus 5
    7. Pagestream
    8. Amigawriter
    9. Visionary
    10. Personal Paint
    11. Make CD
    12. Candy Factory
    13. Envoy
    14. MiamiDX
    15. Ibrowse

and more..
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.07.12 - 07:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Visionary

I'd recommend running the MorphOS-native version of that one, unless you refer to a different software product that coincidentally goes by the same name.
  • »07.07.12 - 11:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    @ magnetic - Thank you for sharing your list. I have tried to make PageStream v3.2 to work after mounting the adf files, but that didn't work, The installer wouldn't work. I mounted for different disks: install, fonts, clip art, etc., but I can't install it.
    MacMini G4 1.5GHz with MorphOS 3.9 FPGA MiST w/AmigaOS 3.9 (PFS3), FPGA Replay w/AmigaOS3.9, Amiga 1200 SCSI CD-RW, X-SURF 100 w/Rapidroad USB, External FDD with Chinon and Gotek units and Acer Aspire One ICAROS
  • »07.07.12 - 19:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Did you try the original, 68k installer?
  • »07.07.12 - 21:33
    osco
    original, 68k installer? a link to it please :-D
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »07.07.12 - 21:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > original, 68k installer? a link to it please

http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/Installer-43_3
  • »07.07.12 - 23:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    WeiXing3D,

Hi. I never tried from ADF actually, I think I copied it over from an actual amiga drive! That was in the 1.4 days, havent run it since.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »08.07.12 - 01:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    osco,
    Quote:

For me too..the original 68K installer, please?
    koszer,
    Quote:

For me too..the original 68K installer, please?

Yeah, for me too..the original 68K installer, please?
  • »08.07.12 - 03:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

Can I trouble you to tell me how to use the installer after download?
  • »08.07.12 - 04:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    koszer,
    Quote:

@koszer - Once I download and extract the 68K installer, how do I use it to install PageStream v3.2? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    :-?
  • »08.07.12 - 08:34