• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    After having my system registererd for nearly a month now I am thinking I may start looking for a Powerbook and get it up and running now. That will add one more here soon. Were getting close to 2000 paid keys. Thats not bad when you consider how small of a group we are.

Not that it really matters, but the counter number does not equal paid registrations, as several of the numbers are for registrations that have been donated by the MorphOS Dev. Team to programmers, or other users who have helped the team in some way, and a few of the registration numbers have been pointed out to be duplicates in some way or another. Plus, some small number could be from people who started the registration process, but for some reason, never paid for and completed the registration process.

We will most likely never know exactly how many MorphOS users there really are, but at least the counter mechanism gives us an indication of the growth trend and progress of registrations for MorphOS, which is a good thing. I guess that there are probably about 600 to 800 MorphOS users around the world, given the fact that most of our users have 2 or 3 registered MorphOS compatible systems by now. When I register my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac tower, it will be my 6th registered system, not counting a 7th registered system that I gave away a couple of years ago during one of the AmiWest shows.

Not as many MorphOS users as there were at the height of the 1.x days when MorphOS was a free download, but at least it appears our numbers of users are on the rise at a steady pace, and the popularity of MorphOS is growing in the existing Amiga community. If the few existing MorphOS users who most often post negative, or offensive forum messages about AmigaOS4.x users and developers could stop that bad habit, we would have even more new MorphOS users in the future (but I will admit that most of the bad forum messages on other Amiga forums seem to be decreasing in number lately, so I probably should not have brought up the topic and possibly stirred the few antagonists into action).

As for your idea of now looking for a G4 PowerBook, I can only say "Go For It!!!", as it is a great way to use and enjoy MorphOS3.2. I have both the 15" and 17" models of the last G4 PowerBook's made, and I use the 15" PowerBook as my main computer, with an upgraded 360gb hard disk (which may be failing, as it has recently become very noisy). The G4 PowerBooks are great mobile computers and now that the wireless driver has been included for several CardBus NIC's with the Atheron chipset, it makes mobile MorphOS computing even easier than it was with my portable wireless Ethernet bridge (or what ever it is really called). Good luck with your search for a good G4 PowerBook, and again, welcome back to being an active MorphOS user.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.06.13 - 16:41