MorphOS counter.
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > comparison of the G4 PowerMac running MorphOS3.0 and the
    > Hyperion NetBook running OS4.x

I think such comparison would make more sense with the PowerBook instead of the PowerMac.

> such a comparison is not really [...] an Apples to Apples comparison

Yeah, it would be an Apples to Limes comparison ;-)

> 400MHz to 800MHz G2 core NetBook

While it's true that the e300 core can run up to 800 MHz in the PowerQUICC II Pro line of chips, I've yet to see an already existing netbook with PowerQUICC II Pro chip. That the netbook hardware is already on the market with Linux has been stated by Hyperion.
    What's existing on the market in terms of e300-based netbooks has a MobileGT chip. The MobileGT line of chips doesn't exceed 400 MHz clock frequency.
  • »24.06.12 - 13:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    I have done some editing in the graph:

Big
    Small

You clearly see the much improved growth rate in registrations (a much steeper slope of the graph) after the point when MorphOS was introduced to the Mac's.

I'd dare to claim that the low price of the second hand Mac's compared to Pegasos2's, the better Bang/Buck ratio of the Mac HW compared to the Pegasos2, the much improved availability of the Mac HW, shows a direct effect in the pace of registration growth.

Not rocket science really.

The red "old growth line" would also IMHO likely have leveled out to become a more horizontal one (illustrated by the bottom border of the yellow-ish field) as time went by, due to the limited numbers of Pegasos computers in the community (there wouldn't be any more growth to speak of when those had been "saturated"), thus making the difference even bigger (but impossible to say by how much of course).

I think it's safe to draw the conclusion that sticking to very expensive, low volume, custom made HW with terrible "Bang for the Buck ratio" (as some still insist on doing) is much worse than going for widely available, cheap, powerful, mainstream options. But then again - MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)

So for the future?

Well *obviously*: Even more power, even higher availability, even more mainstream, even better bang for the buck. One, a few, or all of these, as many as possible.

Since this puts PPC completely out of the question, the choice is about ARM or x86. From today's perspective, I'd say x86, but the future is changing rapidly in this area, so who knows...?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.06.12 - 18:35
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Either that, or it's the same 300-500 people just buying another copy for a Powermac to replace their aging Pegs and getting another for their 'Mobile' laptop.

Let's not hope so eh?
  • »25.06.12 - 21:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    stephen_robinson,
    Quote:

Either that, or it's the same 300-500 people just buying another copy for a Powermac to replace their aging Pegs and getting another for their 'Mobile' laptop.

Let's not hope so eh?

Hard to say. Only the MOS Team knows unique persons and they aren't telling. There are a handful of users with 5+ licenses each and then you have people like me with just one (though I will be buying at least one more in the near future).

The bump from 3.0 has not been as big as I would have liked, but it was a bump. I'd really like to see the MOS user base grow. Spread the word, where appropriate. I'm going to start doing Youtube videos to show of MOS strengths. Sadly my SVGA converter and TV card does poorly with recording anything high resolution. I need better equipment...
  • »25.06.12 - 22:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Only the MOS Team knows unique persons

...and even they can't know everything, like private resales.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=14&topic_id=5875&start=156
  • »25.06.12 - 22:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

...and even they can't know everything, like private resales.

Good point.
  • »25.06.12 - 22:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Not exactly 1500 (1494), but nevertheless, graph updated again.

(Edit: As you can see, there's plenty of space left this time)

[ Edited by koszer 01.07.2012 - 09:51 ]
  • »01.07.12 - 09:50
    boot_wb
    1/7/2012 - 1497

This is for a Powerbook 5,6.

It's my second MorphOS license, the first being the mac-mini.

The mac-mini is on pretty much 24/7 - media centre, fileserver. The Powerbook is my only other computer - web browsing, accounts, e-mail, design & analysis, documentation and everything else.

Thankyou MorphOS team for getting this release out to us. It's freed my Powerbook from the poorly-performing drudgery of running OSX, aside from the interim need to use MSOffice. Google docs is ok, but not great at importing pre-existing documents. :-)
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »01.07.12 - 15:30
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Key now received - thankyou whoever is manning the key-cutting machine today :-)

PS - the first line in the body of the e-mail to which the keyfile is attached still refers to "MorphOS2". Haven't seen any other occurances throughout the registration process though - all other e-mails siimply refer to "MorphOS" (without version).

[ Edited by boot_wb 01.07.2012 - 16:11 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »01.07.12 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

1/7/2012 - 1497

This is for a Powerbook 5,6.

It's my second MorphOS license, the first being the mac-mini.

Looks like we might have already have reached the 1500 license registrations, or will have done so very soon. I would not be surprised if there are three more registrations from people who don't visit this site and so have not reported their numbers in this thread, or three that have registered since your post and while I have been writing this reply. It is my guess that we still only have approx. 500 to 700 actual MorphOS3.0 users and an unknown number of stubborn MorphOS1.4.x users, who refuse to pay for any MorphOS registration license key.

I would love to know an accurate number of MorphOS3.0 users and OS4.x users, but don't expect either group to ever release that information, at least not while they are still active. Maybe when one or both of them have decided to quit, or give up and go Open Source, they will release the numbers to the community?

@kozer,

New size of the graph looks good! I really like the steepness of the line after MorphOS3.0 was released. It is no surprise that MorphOS3.0 is so popular and registering so many new license keys. It looks like it has exceeded the rate of climb that occurred right after MorphOS2.4 was released.

With your permission, I would like to print out your graph for presentation at the next AmiWest Show next to the MorphOS poster. If you have it stored in a format that can easily be enlarged, that would be helpful. I can attempt enlarging the PNG image, but not being educated about PNG's, I don't know if there are different formats that would be easier to work with and produce better results when doing the enlargement. I guess I am out of touch with graphics processing these days.

If you have any suggestions on enlarging the graph for presentation purposes, or can send me the graph in a different format that will make it easier to enlarge, please send it to my email address, which is the same as my nickname, at earthlink.net. I don't need it now, as I would want a version that is current just before the Oct. Show, which may have another 50 to 200 registrations by then, depending on if the growth rate stays constant, or begins to decrease to the previous level.

If you do send me a copy of the graph just before the Oct. AmiWest Show, please make sure it is in a format that I can edit, so I can add some additional text to it. Thanks.

[ Edited by amigadave 01.07.2012 - 10:52 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.07.12 - 19:45
    stephen_robinson
    amigadave,
    Quote:

I would love to know an accurate number of MorphOS3.0 users and OS4.x users, but don't expect either group to ever release that information, at least not while they are still active.

One of the bald men has 4 hairs on his head, the other has 5 hairs.

The battle for the comb continues...
  • »01.07.12 - 19:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    stephen_robinson,
    Quote:

One of the bald men has 4 hairs on his head, the other has 5 hairs.

The battle for the comb continues...

Probably the funniest reply I have ever read on these forums!

Thanks for making my day.
  • »01.07.12 - 19:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    As for now, this is the maximum size of the graph. I should be able to make it larger though (it would require some extra work, but I guess I could do that). Drop me a reminding PM a few weeks before AmiWest, OK?
  • »01.07.12 - 20:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @koszer

Nice to see this second temporary (which it's most certainly is) "jump of joy" in the graph, like the one when Mac support was first introduced with the Mini. A 100+ registrations "extra" in very short time, on top of the "normal" ~1 registration per day! Not bad! :-)

There are obviously a great deal of existing users registering their new laptops here (like when many Pegasos/Efika users was registering new Mac Mini's during the last "100 registrations jump"), but it has also been nice to see some *new* faces here on MorphZone.org and other places! I think laptop support has been what many people been dreaming of for a long time, and it should also help that it's not only a laptop but also one of the most powerful PPC machines the Amiga has ever seen! :-D

The bump in the graph should level out soon, and it will be interesting to see whether the graph will return to the same slope as before (~1 registration/day) or if the new "normal rate" will become even steeper than before! :-)

Under any circumstances, if the MorphOS team would base an eventual future iBook support upon the reception of the PowerBook (like has been hinted), then I guess *it will* be coming now(?), because they couldn't possibly have hoped for a better reception IMHO. :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.07.12 - 20:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Quote:

I would not be surprised if there are three more registrations from people who don't visit this site and so have not reported their numbers in this thread, or three that have registered since your post and while I have been writing this reply.

For sure. There are many morphos ppl worldwide that dont visit this site unfortunately. I'm sure the actual registrations are more.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »02.07.12 - 00:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    koszer,
    Quote:

As for now, this is the maximum size of the graph. I should be able to make it larger though (it would require some extra work, but I guess I could do that). Drop me a reminding PM a few weeks before AmiWest, OK?

I don't mean larger in size of the graph, just higher resolution image for enlarging purposes. If you can save me the image in PDF format, I should be able to scale the image easily and with good image quality, unless someone else with more graphic processing experience can suggest a different format to send the image to me in, so I can Photoshop it to a larger size for sending to a printing company to have it printed out prior to the show. From a PDF format, I can probably just send that to the printing company to get what ever size print I want.

Can you email me a PDF of the graph?

I'll remind you the week before the show begins.

[ Edited by amigadave 01.07.2012 - 16:34 ]
  • »02.07.12 - 01:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Yeah, I know. And that did require some extra work. Anyway, you can download the graph in .odg format here (I didn't make a .pdf because I couldn't get it to work with transparency). I hope you can print out of .odg files too...
  • »02.07.12 - 08:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @kozer,

I downloaded the .odg file and will research what an .odg file is as soon as I finish writing this reply to your message. Thanks for the second option and I hope that the .odg file will serve my purpose for printing the graph to use at the AmiWest 2012 Show along side of last year's MorphOS poster. Will this link to the .odg file still be available and updated the first or second week of Oct.?

Thanks again.

Okay, it is an Open Office document, or graphic format, I thought that extension looked familiar. I should be able to use it and think I still have Open Office installed on my MacOSX G4 PowerMac, as well as my Windows PC desktop. I don't want to cause you any more trouble trying to format the graph in any further file formats.

[ Edited by amigadave 02.07.2012 - 00:36 ]
  • »02.07.12 - 09:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Now that the work is done I'll try to keep the graphs "synchronized". By the way - I've noticed a bug - I need to embed the font I used, otherwise we'll loose the alignment.

[ Edited by koszer 02.07.2012 - 10:25 ]
  • »02.07.12 - 09:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I should be able to use it and think I still have Open Office installed

ODG can also be imported by other software than OpenOffice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument_software#Graphics_documents_.28.odg.29
  • »02.07.12 - 10:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Well, so much for font embedding in OpenOffice - they seem to have a problem with that. Anyway, the pdf looks good on Adobe Reader and VPDF so I guess we could stick to that as well.
  • »02.07.12 - 22:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    koszer,
    Quote:

Well, so much for font embedding in OpenOffice - they seem to have a problem with that. Anyway, the pdf looks good on Adobe Reader and VPDF so I guess we could stick to that as well.

Great! Thanks for working on that.

Now all I need is for you to tell me where I can download the PDF version right before the Oct. AmiWest Show, so I will have the latest version to print out and display, or you could email it to me.

We can now return this thread to it's actual purpose of counting new MorphOS registration numbers.

Thanks again.
  • »02.07.12 - 22:47
  • Cim
  • Just looking around
    Cim
    I have number 1468 but its been reserved on 21st June (I had to wait untill today to get enough money so I can pay but I finaly did it :D )
  • »03.07.12 - 20:13
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sergius
    mine is
    http://registrations.morphos-team.net:80/payment/1503
  • »07.07.12 - 13:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    And the date? Today?
  • »07.07.12 - 14:08