• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Your statement "trying out random numbers below 1500 reveals that there are many
    > licenses which have not been paid for, thus not resulting in a keyfile issued." is not correct.

I'm not so sure about that.

> simply because the file you accessed, which showed several registrations
    > which were not paid for, that does not mean that a keyfile was not issued for
    > that registration number. The MorphOS Dev. Team has given several MorphOS
    > keyfiles to people for free, such as certain developers, or other people like me,
    > who have received one or two keyfiles for other reasons.

Of course I'm aware of keyfiles given for free and also of keyfiles not paid via PayPal but in person at several events where MorphOS Team members were attending. What I'm not aware of however is that such keys are bound to registration numbers in the MorphOS registration system, which is directly linked to the PayPal system. So, can you say for sure that keyfiles received for free (such as the ones you got) get such numbers in the MorphOS registration system? If yes, this may be the case with keyfiles paid for in person as well, which in turn would show up as non-paid for in the PayPal system but represents a valid license issued.
    Nonetheless, I'm quite sure there are registration numbers occupied by people who attempted to register and got their number in the email with the payment request, but then for whatever reason have not made the final step to perform the actual payment.

> I am sure that the MorphOS Dev. Team has donated many other free MorphOS
    > keyfiles in the past, which may account for what you found with your searching

Even if keyfiles issued for free get their own registration number, this cannot account for *all* numbers shown as non-paid for in the registration system (see above).

> I guess there are probably some registration numbers which have been generated,
    > which do not result in a MorphOS keyfile being issued to anyone, so that is skewing
    > the numbers of actual MorphOS computers running MorphOS3.0 with registered keyfiles

Exactly.

> but I don't believe that it is a high percentage.

Yes, the portion of those is up to anyone's guess.

> no one on the MorphOS Dev. Team has come forward and stated
    > that the actual number of registered keyfiles have been issued

True. In case the free keyfiles and the keyfiles paid for in person are indeed included in what we treat as the MorphOS license counter here, we just know for sure that the actual number of keyfiles issued must be lower than that.

> or [...] how many unique MorphOS users there currently are

As has been explained a number of times in this thread, even the MorphOS Team can't know this number.

> I guess we will not be able to determine either number

Agreed.

> many MorphOS users who would rather this new information had not come to light

This is not new information in any way. It has been clear since MorphOS 2.0 and also discussed in this thread that registration numbers can be generated without keyfile subsequently being issued, simply by not following through the payment.
  • »08.07.12 - 18:36