• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Your statement "trying out random numbers below 1500 reveals that there are many licenses which have not been paid for, thus not resulting in a keyfile issued." is not correct.

Unless you have some other verification method, simply because the file you accessed, which showed several registrations which were not paid for, that does not mean that a keyfile was not issued for that registration number. The MorphOS Dev. Team has given several MorphOS keyfiles to people for free, such as certain developers, or other people like me, who have received one or two keyfiles for other reasons. I received a keyfile because I was showing MorphOS at the AmiWest Show. Another MorphOS keyfile was issued for free to the winner of the G4 eMac, which was a contest 1st prize for the winner of the Amiga Game Competition at the AmiWest Show two years ago.

I am sure that the MorphOS Dev. Team has donated many other free MorphOS keyfiles in the past, which may account for what you found with your searching (which no longer appears to work).

I guess there are probably some registration numbers which have been generated, which do not result in a MorphOS keyfile being issued to anyone, so that is skewing the numbers of actual MorphOS computers running MorphOS3.0 with registered keyfiles, but I don't believe that it is a high percentage.

Since no one on the MorphOS Dev. Team has come forward and stated that the actual number of registered keyfiles have been issued, or more interesting to most of us, how many unique MorphOS users there currently are, I guess we will not be able to determine either number, and it is just as big a mystery as how many OS4.x users and/or how many purchased OS4.x install CD's there are.

Oh well! Another disappointment due to lack of information. I know many MorphOS users who would rather this new information had not come to light and would prefer to think that the registration numbers for MorphOS users could actually mean something, instead of being mostly meaningless and inaccurate.

[ Edited by amigadave 07.07.2012 - 18:20 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.07.12 - 03:10