• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Dave, the only way you will learn without going to a college and taking a basic programming class is to teach yourself.

In fact even then when you are being taught by a teacher, most of what you learn will come from yourself by playing around, experimenting and breaking and fixing stuff.

I thought I would revive this thread to add some new ideas & questions into the mix, and to see if any of your opinions have changed since I first started this thread.

I am thinking of looking for, or creating a new website if I can't find any that are close to matching what I need/want. A website for all people who are interested in learning to program for and/or on MorphOS. It could even be just a new forum section on this site, if the MorphZone.org webmaster feels that such an addition of one or more forum sections would be worth his effort in setting it up.

I would like to have a forum website where I could go (or a section of this site with one or more new forums created), to ask programming questions, post example code and have it critiqued and commented upon by more experienced programmers, and where those experienced programmers could post threads suggesting how to accomplish certain programming tasks that are often needed, or give tips and tricks that normal beginning programmers don't usually learn about until they have been coding for years and learn just by trial and error. Tutorials could also be posted, like they are here in our library section. People who are trying to teach themselves how to program could discuss their problems and successes with others who are traveling down this same path, or even collaborate on some programming projects together, as they learn and improve their skills.

Personally, I continue to purchase additional programming books, with my most recent additions being two books on learning Open GL, but those will be waiting for many months, if not years, before I am ready to start coding my own 3D games, or CAD application for MorphOS. As Hollywood continues to grow and add more features to its massive list, it becomes even more attractive as a target for me to learn, maybe even trying to learn to use it first, since I believe that it is a higher level programming language, and therefore should be easier to learn to use than C, or C++, or even AmigaE. I have already purchased almost every version and add-on for Hollywood, but just need to update my copy to any changes or additions added within the last 6 to 12 months.

I have still more moving to finish this month, and a construction project to help a friend with next month, which will both take up all of my free time, but I hope by the end of this year to be settled in at the new house and be ready to spend several hours each week, solely dedicated to learning how to program on MorphOS.

Can anyone who is in charge of the forums and sections here tell me if it is possible to set up some new forums in a new section dedicated to learning how to program on MorphOS? I am sure that there are a few other members here who are interested, and who would use such forums, as well as maybe a few new MorphOS users who want to learn how to program on MorphOS.

Perhaps just adding one or two new forums to the existing "Development" section would suffice to give us a place for new programmers to hang out and ask their questions, or discuss their projects with each other?

[ Edited by amigadave 11.08.2015 - 00:15 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.08.15 - 09:13