• Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Quote:

Ants wrote:
    @Zylesea
    Well, it's more than just programming preference- it's what's best for Beginner/Hobbiest programmers,
    and C++/Java isn't good to begin with IMO.

Depends on. I wouldn't rule out OOP for beginners - it's a totally different philosophy than procedural programming. Knowledge of procedural languages won't really help to learn (good!) OOP.

For learning decent OOP C++ and Java are indeed not all that great. C++ is a hybrid and I see lots of people doing things in C++ in a procedural way (like, using hooks where a factory pattern would be appropriate).

Both languages don't allow to inherit type and implementation separately, I'd recommend to at least have a *look* at a language that allows this before starting to learn either. To see what happens when you don't know -> look at the Java library. Baad baad baad.

Quote:

small programmes are really just a Class in themselves. Hobbiests will never need the sophistication of Classes.

There's much more to OOP than classes. You can well write (small or large) OOP programs without any classes at all. Classes are just part of one particular kind of OOP. Other concepts are much more fundamental to OOP as a whole than classes.
  • »16.02.04 - 19:40