• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    I agree with TheMagicM... MUI is not as easy as Gadtools or other GUI toolkits...
    For example... if it was sooooOOooOoooo easy, all the unix ports would come with a GUI because coders who port it would find it soooOooo easy and soooo fast to add a GUI that they would add it.

Amiga programming tools and IDEs aren't very good. The text editors are nice but that's all. We haven't integration between GUI builders and IDEs. And the IDEs are poor. The documentation doesn't give examples. Etc... Newbies expect something like Delphi/VisualC/VisualBasic/etc...

I don't mean that it's a big task to start coding, but you really need WILL to start coding. You need to search examples on aminet, you need to reboot your machine from time to time when you trash the memory with your pointers, etc...

About MUI being fast, I think that's OK on peggy but on real Amigas with 060s, PCI graphic cards etc it's not as fast as I would like. On the other hand compared to GTK or any non-amiga GUI toolkit it rocks and it's damn fast. Just look the GTK Windows ports. They suck, and the programs that use GTK on Windows simply SUCK. Just check Glade or xchat. They are sloooow and crash often. And yes, I'm using at work a 2.4Ghz PentiumIV with 512MB of RAM and WinXP. And it works without problems with other apps.

I would choose C because you have the best support and tools for C. I wouldn't spend my time with AmigaE/PowerD. They are as easy as C and don't offer any advantage IMHO.
  • »10.02.04 - 11:01
    Profile Visit Website