• Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

Leo wrote:
    I am using cross-compilation and if I remember correctly it's something like gcc5. Does it change anything regarding encoding?

No, it does not change anything. Your app should come with English and ISO-8859-1 for the builtin defaults. Or you can use ObjectiveC and then UTF-8 comes for free.

Quote:

What's the best practices for MorphOS (only) CLI apps that need to be localized: do people use charset library or do they use ISO?

English/ISO-8859-1 for the built-in language and locale/catalogs for translations.

Quote:

What happens with locale catalogs: what should catalogs .cd files be encoded in?

The catalogs need to be encoded in ISO-8859-1 and .ct files encoded in the default ISO-8859-* associated with the catalog's language.

Edit: I've misread your original post. You may not output UTF-8 text straight into the shell - that is not supported for compatibility reasons. In that case, either use charsets or Objective-C to output text in the native ISO codepage.

Ok, that's what I thought.

Where can I find some documentation on how to convert an UTF8 string to locale codepage using charsets.library?
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »06.07.18 - 14:07
    Profile Visit Website