amigadave
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:
    The version I have showed up here is rewritten in Hollywood

Are you new to programming with Hollywood?

Yes, I am.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Why did you choose to use Hollywood as the programming language, instead of re-writing Daysleeper in C/C++, or some other programming language?

Because it's simply easy for those who aren't deep enough into system API. Especially the Amiga API. There aren't tons of ready to use examples throughout internet, and crowds of experienced developers with lots of free time who are ready to answer questions from beginners.
    Look at this thread. It's even hard to find few people to do some simple tests that not require programing skills.

Thanks for your answers. They just confirm what I already think about learning to use Hollywood. As for having a hard time finding help from experienced Amiga programmers, I think that there are still quite a few people who are willing to help, but you need to look in the right places, and/or hang out on the right irc channels, to find the most experienced Amiga programmers, and you also need to do as much of the preparation and beginning research yourself, so that you are not asking questions that are obviously easy to find the answers to. Many experienced Amiga programmers will not help beginning programmers who don't make enough of an effort to teach themselves the basics, but they are happy to help beginners who have learned some of the basics, and who ask specific questions.

It has been a big concern of mine for several years now, that the Amiga community (includes OS4, MorphOS, & AROS as well), is losing too much programming knowledge each year, as some of our members leave because they lose interest, or leave for "natural causes" (old age/death), and we are gaining too few new programmers to replace all of that knowledge. Naturally, new programmers joining this community, do not have the same kind of programming knowledge that the original Amiga programmers have, who have been within our community since 1985, so we still lose something, even if we some day reach a point where we are gaining exactly as many new programmers, as the number who are leaving.

Overall, I think that most experienced Amiga/MorphOS/AROS programmers, are very helpful toward beginning programmers in our community. The fact that the Amiga/MorphOS/AROS API is so different than Windows, MacOS, and Linux API's, and the lack of programming tools, is our biggest obstacle in obtaining more new programs and games.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.09.17 - 00:41