• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ALB42 wrote:
    FreePascal is Project of the Month on SourceForge

https://sourceforge.net/blog/may-2017-community-choice-project-of-the-month-free-pascal-compiler/

Please note the text:

cite:
    "The whole Amiga family (AROS, MorphOS, AmigaOS) made a lot of progress recently."

:-D

Congratulations ALB42! It is nice for you to get some recognition, for the work you have been doing, which is why I am posting this message. It is great to see developers who still care about MorphOS, and other Amiga-Like OSes, and I always try to support and encourage such programmers, when ever I can.

I doubt I will use Freepascal for MorphOS, or any Amiga-Like OS, because I have invested into Hollywood, and should stick with that until I have made some more progress in learning the basics, before distracting myself with other programming languages (though I do read a bit about "C"/"C++" for Amiga-Like OSes, or general info for all platforms, occasionally.

I believe that Hollywood allows embedded code from other languages, so I could probably insert portions of Freepascal code, into any Hollywood programming project, as well as C/C++, or maybe even AmigaE/PortablE code, which I had read a little about, and thought about learning first a while ago.

Hollywood seems to be the best choice for me to learn right now, after a lot of thinking, reading and wasting my time, trying to decide which programming language to begin with (actually continue with, as I do have some limited experience programming/scripting, from years spent on a proprietary program used at my work years ago).

I had spent lots of time thinking about learning C/C++ first, because of the huge amount of use, in Amiga legacy/history (as well as the huge amount of C/C++ use on all other platforms) and the great amount of examples and written tutorials and teaching books available, both specifically for the Amiga, and generally for all platforms. I have SAS/C manuals in great condition, as well as a purchased "new package" of Storm/C (version 4 I think) & Mesa, used copies of Aztec/C, & Manx/C (was Aztec & Manx the same thing? Can't remember),"back-in-the-day".

One of my concerns for years, has been that much Amiga programming talent has left, and continues to leave our community, without any effort being made to transfer their knowledge to new coders, or preserve their knowledge in some kind of written, or visual (video tutorials) documentation, for future programmers to learn from. Since Amiga programming is very different in many ways from programming on any other platform, I think my concerns are valid and a real problem for our community.

Anyway, sorry for such a long rant in your thread, and congratulations again ALB42.

[ Edited by amigadave 04.05.2017 - 09:11 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.05.17 - 15:56