• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

WB_Coder schrieb:
    My original question was if Hollywood is a good programming language for beginning programmers to learn, or would "C" be a better choice?

IMHO Hollywood is a great choice for occasional coders (like me) and/or beginners. I learned C++ first and progressed rather slowly. It's not only the language itself, but more about the API. A thing I never came really far on MorphOS.On Windows it's much easier with the great help functions of Visual Studio and google searches. At least I came so far to write a multithreaded time critical I/O program on Windows with C++ while I failed on most things I tried on Amiga/MorphOS.
    When using Hollywood you don't use the host system API directly, but Hollywoods own API - and that is rather easy. I really like Hollywood and am not sure whether my eternal plan to improve my C++ skills is required any more, as Hollywood became pretty mature and powerful..
    The language itself is comparatively easy, but can easily lead (at least me) to write some kind of spaghetti code since you don't need a precise plan, but can just start to write (on C++ you are lost without a good structure just from the beginning). Keeping that clean, structured and readable requires some effort.
    And it's still some work. Dunno how fast others code, but for me even rather simple programs take time to actually do. I am just writing a simple reaction time measurement program. No big thing, but to make it actually ready for action (I will use it for school teaching next week) it took me a few evenings already - work in progress: http://via.i-networx.de/R2Z/about.htm

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 11.06.2015 - 00:41 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.06.15 - 23:23
    Profile Visit Website