• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChrisH
    I have uploaded a new PortablE beta of my modernised AmigaE programming language. There have been a HUGE amount of changes since the last beta in April, but biggest changes are:

* Fully tested on AROS & MorphOS (in addition to AmigaOS4), so all the examples now run smoothly & stably. Please download some of the already compiled examples & try them out :-)

* Programs now compile on Icaros v.1.3.x, although an AROS bug in Icaros v1.3.0 to v1.3.2 means that the graphical examples won't look good. Icaros v1.3.3 should fix that.

* The GUI module (std/cGui) now supports basic scrollable lists & pictures in buttons (see here for an example), plus many bug fixes.

* The graphics module (std/cGfx) now supports resizable windows, can draw circles, and has been heavily fixed & speeded-up for AROS & MorphOS.

* Added basic networking support for AmigaOS4, which is compatible with AmigaE.

* Added the "Debug" switch to PEGCC, which makes debugging on OS4 much easier. PEGCC also behaves better.

* The sound & music modules (std/cSnd & std/cMusic) now gracefully handle the lack of AHI sound, instead of crashing!

* OPT MULTITHREADED should now be properly thread-safe, especially FastNew/NEW/etc.

* A large number of fixes & tweaks to various things, plus added a couple more Amiga modules, and some missing OS4 functions.

You can download the latest beta of PortablE here.

Some screenshots to show what PortablE is capable of in a relatively small amount of code:

ShootEmUp_pic1.png
    SimpleCalculator_pic.png
    SOTBeastScroll_pic1.png
    PictureAlbum_1.png
    AmiSystemRestore_1.png
    StarsDemo_pic.png
    amigaos4b.jpg

As a reminder, in February I released a "full preview" of the next version of the PortablE programming language. It is now aimed at beginners & those new to the E language. Previous releases of PortablE were aimed at existing AmigaE users, and those familiar with AmigaOS programming. But after more than a year of development, PortablE became much easier for beginners to pick-up & play with:

* It now comes with some nice modules for graphics, sound, music & GUIs. These require no knowledge of AmigaOS programming, and were inspired by the simplicity of BASIC languages like AMOS.

* It comes with full documentation for all of these modules, along with smaller & bigger examples. There is also an official PortablE forum.

* The documentation has been revamped to be more beginner friendly, and the PortablE installer has been made easier to use. If you still get stuck, then let me know, and I will see what I can do :-)

* In addition to that, I have made available a large collection of my own useful modules (in the CSH folder), which you can use if you want. These are not properly documented yet, but I will look at documenting them where there is interest.

* As usual it supports Amiga OS4, OS3, AROS, MorphOS & Windows. However (1) the new modules do not yet work on Windows, and (2) the new graphics module does not yet work on Amiga OS3.
    Author of the PortablE programming language.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue...
  • »28.10.11 - 11:14
    Profile Visit Website