How to build g++ or recent build tree
  • Just looking around
    foft
    Are there any tutorials on how to build a recent g++ for MorphOS? I'd like to get set up for development - say a 4.3 or 4.4 build and a decent editor. I heard of MorphED but can' find a link. Also the latest g++ I found it 4.0, which is well...ancient!

Also are there any notes on writing plugins for the ambient sound player? I'd like to add SAP support...

Thanks,

Mark
  • »31.10.09 - 21:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Here you should find everything to get you started:
    MorphOS-SDK

Bout newer GCCs, better start with whats there, and see if it's enough.

GCC3 and 4 is considered too buggy by the MorphOS-team (don't ask me, all I've tried sofar worked pretty fine with 2.95.3).
  • »31.10.09 - 21:58
  • Just looking around
    foft
    Thanks Kronos - good to get started with:-)

I guess PPC support could have got worse on newer versions. I'd have thought Apple would have kept it patched pretty well though since they use 4.x iirc...

Now to write "Hello world":-)
  • »31.10.09 - 22:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    The (so crappy, it shouldn't be used IMHO) Ambient sound player uses Reggae.
  • »31.10.09 - 22:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    foft
    Its Ambient sound player thats bad, not Reggae right? So if I did a Reggae plugin then it would work with other better players?

Now if I could just find the hash key I could write some code - hash gives me pipe and I can't see how to reconfigure this keyboard. EVERYTHING else seems correct!

[ Edited by foft on 2009/10/31 23:34 ]
  • »31.10.09 - 22:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Yes Reggae doesn't suck. Although I'm not sure there are a lot of players using it yet.

For your key issue, and as a workaround only, you could try to mess with USB mprefs' HID stuff.

[ Edited by Henes on 2009/11/1 1:45 ]
  • »31.10.09 - 23:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    If you would write a Reggae demuxer/decoder then it would work with Ambient and Multiview and other software which will use Reggae to play back (in your case: SAP) streams/ samples.

Reggae is well documented on the Reggae website.
  • »31.10.09 - 23:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    foft
    Is there another site? The only docs I find are:
    http://krashan.ppa.pl/reggae/tutorial_streams.html

Which has a load of broken links, no includes or anything like that:-(
  • »01.11.09 - 15:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Yep, that should be the one ....

Broken links might be due to Krashan moving server (atleast for one of his sites) recently.

Another good advice is to join #morphos on freenode, right now you could even chat with reggae's author ...
  • »01.11.09 - 15:35
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Broken links may be caused by one of my domains transition, should be over after a few of days. Note also this tutorial is work in progress (it is marked as such), so not finished.

While every Reggae class has its autodoc (detailed API description), I admit, there is not enough general introductory texts for programmers. I'm working on them, but the process is slow due to lack of free time.

I plan to release a complete Reggae update pack before the end of year. It will have the latest includes, autodocs and some examples.
  • »01.11.09 - 17:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    foft
    What would be very useful for me is the code+includes+makefile for one of the existing audio decoders. Kind of like a hello world. Is that available anywhere?

I think perhaps I'm not used to some Amiga conventions - autodocs, morphos shared lib (vs unix shared lib) etc. Got plenty of experience of C++ on Linux and Win32 but this world is a little different...

Thanks,

Mark
  • »01.11.09 - 19:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    You will find it a bit difficult to fit typical Linux C++ code into Reggae class. This is because Reggae classes are a special case of MorphOS shared libraries. As such they are compiled without standard startup code. Then the code cannot use exceptions and runtime type information. Because of this also memory allocation functions have to be replaced with MorphOS native ones. Most of Reggae classes are written in plain C.

As for Reggae includes, these are just part of MorphOS system includes and are available for example on MorphOS Files.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2009/11/1 19:20 ]
  • »01.11.09 - 20:19
    Profile Visit Website