• MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    I'm starting to regret giving away my RKMs... Can anyone recommend a good discussion or primer on process initialisation as it applies to MorphOS? My goal is to create a new process that doesn't have to initialise itself any differently to a 'normal', user-started process.

RKRMs never covered any dos.library calls... I dont know why, I always found it weird.

To create new process just call:

struct Process *proc = CreateNewProcTags(NP_Entry, MyProcessFunc, NP_Name, "My Child Process", NP_CodeType, CODETYPE_PPC, TAG_DONE);

You may want to pass additional parameters to your entry. Lets say your process call is like this:

void MyProcessFunc(struct Data *data, CONST_STRPTR path) { /.../ }

You just add NP_PPC_Arg1, data, NP_PPC_Arg2, "RAM:MyPath" to tag list.

Quote:

I'm particularly interested to know how to initialise the following tags marked with a '*'. Is it acceptable for the parent process to simply copy certain fields from its own process structure to pair with these tags?

Just let the OS copy those fields for you.

Quote:

NP_Input *
    NP_Output *
    NP_CloseInput *
    NP_CloseOutput *
    NP_Error *
    NP_CloseError *

If you want to pass your own filehandles for input, output and error you can Open() one yourself. CloseInput/Output/Error is just a boolean flag to indicate if the launched process should close those handles automatically when the launched process ends.

Quote:

NP_CurrentDir *

You can pass your own lock here... but it is not necessary.

Quote:

NP_ConsoleTask * (How is this different to NP_Cli ?)

Dont worry about this one...

Quote:

NP_WindowPtr * (Just out of curiousity, can a parent and child process draw to the same window?)

This is used as a reference pointer for DOS requesters. You dont have to worry about this either...

Quote:

NP_HomeDir *

You can set homedir here but it is not necessary.

Quote:

NP_CopyVars * (How is this used?)

This mean local environment variables.

Quote:

NP_Cli *
    NP_Path *

Too low level to me. I have never used, never needed, never had to understand.

Quote:

NP_Arguments * (Is this just a string pointer?)

Yes it is, however, I prefer using NP_PPC_Arg tags.

Quote:

NP_TaskMsgPort * (Does the parent create this or is it handled by process creation?)

This is handled by process creation. You can use this tag to get TaskMsgPort of newly created process:

struct MsgPort *port;

NP_TaskMsgPort, &port

This can be used for interprocess communication and its advantage is that you can avoid usual handshaking mechanism with parent and child process.

[ Edited by itix 08.03.2016 - 11:56 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »08.03.16 - 09:55