• Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

munk wrote:
    FWIW, the varargs68k attribute is documented and used to be supported.

Same could be said for K&R-styled parameter passing or any other relic from the 70s....

Recently I build GCC 2.95.x which is written in K&R with clang 3.4 on a FreeBSD 10/amd64 host as a 64bit executable and the build process was rather painless. Of course, patches were needed to have a successful and usable build result but that was not related to the code style but simply bugs when using a 64bit host system.

Quote:

If someone was planning to remove varargs68k from GCC2.x you'd have a valid argument, but with GCC4 which is only interesting for those that want to use "bleeding edge" C(++) revisions it just makes no sense to support 20++ year old kludges designed for systems that have limited relevance to the target architecture.

I assumed that GCC3+ was not used to build modern C++ code only. Different users have different use cases, other people could use those (missing) features. And not being able to use newer compiler versions is then disappointing.

I understand that the MorphOs team has more urgent needs than implementing these features. I know very well how painful maintaining GCC patches is thus I wrote that I have varargs68k addition for newer GCC versions. That code is the MOS code from its 2.95 compiler but adapted for the changed sources thus those functions do have its morphos name part still present. I used this for stuff for my custom PowerUp GCC port.
  • »09.11.15 - 10:08