• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChrisH
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere, but what pros/cons does this have over ECX?

PortablE pros:
    PortablE is still actively developed :-) , and since it basically works on Windows I should continue to develop PortablE whatever happens to the Amiga. (I gather that ECX is sadly no-longer developed, going by what was said on the AmigaE mailing list.)

PortablE is (IMHO) more future-proof, since it generates C/C++ code & uses GCC for compilation. So if MorphOS switches to ARM or x86 or whatever, then it should continue to work (but some work may be required if the MorphOS SDK changed drastically).

PortablE easily targets AmigaOS4, AROS & MorphOS, as well as AmigaOS3 & Windows to a lesser extent.

PortablE has many beginner-friendly modules, so you don't have to directly program AmigaOS (which can be quite difficult).

The changes PortablE has made to the AmigaE language makes it more beginner-friendly (especially type-checking), and improved OOP makes it better for writing big programs.

PortablE cons:
    Compiling programs has much higher memory usage & is slower than ECX (although I have plans for improving this). But the resulting programs should be just as fast & efficient as those created by ECX though.

The changes ECX has (and has not) made to the AmigaE language makes it more low-level-programming friendly, if that is your thing.

I think that ECX can easily generate Amiga libraries, like AmigaE could???

[ Edited by ChrisH 03.02.2014 - 19:23 ]
    Author of the PortablE programming language.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue...
  • »03.02.14 - 19:40
    Profile Visit Website