• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Isnt there a spare PCI slot where you can insert PCI Radeon?

Sadly no, PCI port goes to SATA controller because onboard SATA has only one device.

Well, according to this page you can use both the PCI and PCI-E 1x slot if you aren't interested in using the single on-board SATA 2 connector:

"FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Which setup are possible with the board?

It's possible to use the Sam460ex in one of these setup:

PCI-Express 16x slot + PCI slot + PCI-Express 1x slot
    PCI-Express 16x slot + PCI slot + SATA2 port
    "

So why not use a proper PCI-E card for SATA instead of a PCI card? That way you would free up the conventional PCI slot for a 9250 GFX card! :-)

Also, reading up on the Sam again, made me realize how badly cripled this HW really is. Not only is it weak performance-wise, its design is astonishingly cripled. And it's very expensive, and there aren't any available anymore from the manufacturer. Makes me wonder why a MorphOS port was even considered.

Quote:

vox wrote:

Radeon 9250 is difficult to find, even I would like to stick it next to my Radeon 6870HD on X1000 just to see some 3D.

Well, Acube sells (sold, they have no Sam's in stock, and I guess it remains to bee seen if they will make some new ones at some point?) new Sam 460 systems with Radeon 9250 PCI! From their webshop:

Complete system built with:
    AmigaOS4.1 pre-installed
    Sam460ex - Lite
    CPU CLOCK 1 Ghz
    Case LC-Power 2039MB-MBS
    512 MB DDR2
    Radeon 9250 PCI - 128 MB
    HD SATA2 Western Digital 500 GB
    DVD burner
    + Envy24HT sound card

Maybe you can ask them if they can sell you just the GFX card, if e-bay is too difficult for you to use?

This is one of the best GFX cards available for OS4 + Sam (since there is no AGP in the Sam, no such cards can be used). It has proper 2D acceleration, 3D acceleration and Overlay support. No Radeon HD solution for OS4 offers that, they don't even have a v1.0 of the 2D acceleration enabled driver yet.

Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Drivers for Radeon HD cards won't benefit G5 Macs, as you were told already:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=1215&start=94

Why, I believe high end Macs have PCI-E?

Why don't you read the answer that people gives to your questions? Mac PPC computers require special PPC ROM's on the GFX cards. The firmware in the Pegasos 2 computer for example, has a x86 emulator that can execute the x86 code that's in "normal" GFX cards ROM's, but no PPC Mac has that, and when Apple dropped PPC and went x86, the market for GFX cards with those special PPC ROM's went away. AFAIK, the Radeon X1900 is the last/best option for PPC Macs.

Quote:

Ok, then its SAM460ex thing, and something anyway has to be done
    for transition to x86, or you believe we shall use Radeons 9600/9800 and 1xxx for ever?

Well, properly supported Radeon 9xxx cards beats Radeon HD cards with only display any day of the week! :-) And you must take into account that the Sam is very under-powered and wouldn't be able to make full use of those Radeon HD cards anyway, so I'd say that a Radeon 9xxx card is a very good match for the Sam. :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.03.14 - 11:39