MorphOS and R300
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Radeon X1050 must works even if there are not listed too.

From 3 years ago:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7464&forum=11&start=19

This may have changed in the meantime, though.
  • »23.10.13 - 01:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

I might try the 9800 under Linux though if I get the time just to see how it performs there.

Let me know if you get it to work. The 9600 is the only R300 card I've managed to get to work under Linux so far, and it requires some xorg.conf tweaking to work.

Quote:

any chance some Linux guys came across the issue? Or maybe it also affects the PC cards? If not it would narrow it down to the Mac hardware.

This particular issue is likely specific to the exact combination of the U3 AGP controller and the R350 chip. That being said, as I mentioned in my previous reply, the 9800 Pro I have doesn't work in Linux for me at all.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »23.10.13 - 08:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    soviet
    Very interesting information, and great performance on the 9800 the only thing missing know could by some new 3D game ports or something to exploit this power.
  • »23.10.13 - 11:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Get27
    @Andreas_Wolf : a test would be more usefull than 3 years posts...
    PowerMac 3.5, G4 1.0GHz DP, 1GB ram, 80GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9600 128MB Mac, 1680x1050
    PowerMac 7.3, G5 2.3GHz DP, 4GB ram, 160GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9800 128MB PC, 1680x1050
    Amiga 500+, Vampire 500v2+, HxC Floppy
  • »23.10.13 - 13:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    pega-1,
    Quote:

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude in my previous reply but it really doesn't make any sense to try a graphics card that is not upon the list of supported cards. The Radeon driver will just quit silently if it detects an unknown graphics card.

Coming from an Amiga background, I can understand amigadave's question. With the Prometheus PCI board, Voodoo 4 and 5 didn't have drivers but would work with the Voodoo 3 driver.
  • »23.10.13 - 23:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    pega-1,
    Quote:

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude in my previous reply but it really doesn't make any sense to try a graphics card that is not upon the list of supported cards. The Radeon driver will just quit silently if it detects an unknown graphics card.

Coming from an Amiga background, I can understand amigadave's question. With the Prometheus PCI board, Voodoo 4 and 5 didn't have drivers but would work with the Voodoo 3 driver.

I think some developers get so focused on their work that they lose touch with what some of the users think, or try, or they assume that most of the users know more about certain issues than they actually do know. I believe that there are many users who try unsupported peripherals in their MorphOS systems, just to see if they will work. Just like some users try to boot MorphOS on systems that are not listed as being supported on the official website.

That probably does not make much sense to most of the Dev. Team members though, as it is usually a waste of time. But we are Amiga users, not Windows, or Mac users, who only know how to flip the "ON" switch on their computers.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.10.13 - 20:06