• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Does anyone else have MorphOS3.3 running on any of the R400 based Radeon video cards, in either a G4, or G5 PowerMac?

Maybe everyone else has read http://www.morphos-team.net/hardware, especially the section where it lists the supported graphics cards ?

Of course you are correct, but I was not asking if any R400 video card was "Officially Supported" yet. Being a layman who is unfamiliar with how video card drivers work, I wrote my question above to find out if it was possible for the existing R200, or R300 drivers to work with an R400 video card, in just the 2D mode. I was asking if any other users had even tried to use an R400 video card with the current R200/R300 drivers. If that is a stupid question, then just consider the uneducated source and ignore my stupidity.
    Quote:

Quote:

.... or when we might be able to run MorphOS3.x in 2D only mode on any R400 Radeon video card?

Didn't Mark already mention that he is bad at predicting the future ? :)

So amigadave, as Jim might have told you already, he was so kind to send us both a genuine G5 X800 and reflashed FireGLX3 card to add support in the future. There is been some work ongoing, it might be supported in the future but don't expect us to leave R300 class drivers behind in favour of R400 support, this would just be plain silly considering the fact that a large amount of currently supported MorphOS systems still relies on R200/R300 class drivers.
    Adding R400 support to the current driver is possible with reasonable efforts but we should probably leave "X is already running X800 in his closet" and "Y is releasing R500 drivers in Q3/Q4 2014" style statements up to others ....
    It's done when you find it in our update notes :P

As I tried to explain above, I was interested in knowing if an R400 video card could work with existing R200/R300 drivers, in 2D mode only, not asking about any progress or estimated time frame when a true R400 driver would be completed.

If it is not possible for an R400 video card to work at all with either of the existing MorphOS video card drivers, then I don't expect any work on the R300 driver to be sacrificed, in favor of working on the R400 driver instead.

Quote:

And while many people already dislike the idea of buying a used system to run MorphOS, what do you think would be the reaction if we told anyone to get hold of a reflashed PC BIOS R4xx card just to use 3D acceleration at max speed ?

Just my two cents and thanks for your attention ....

I don't think anyone would object to the idea of needing to purchase a reflashed PC BIOS R4xx card to use 3D acceleration at max speed. If for some strange reason the R400 driver proved to be easier to implement than the R300 driver, I think that most all MorphOS users would be glad to upgrade to the fastest supported video card they can get with no complaints about skipping a generation of video cards that may, or may not have some kind of hardware flaw that makes completing the 3D support difficult, or impossible, in the G5 PowerMac models. The R400 cards can after all be modified to be used in the G4 PowerMac's as well as the G5's.

I hope this clears up the intentions of my "uneducated" questions.

[ Edited by amigadave 21.10.2013 - 21:13 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.10.13 - 05:00