• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    Yoo!

Finally had some time this weekend to tinker with the G5 towers. I bought a CPU set off fleabay for $30 which were the 2.5ghz cpus. Upon inspection it did not look promising. The "white rice" could be seen along side the CPU itself. Figured since the guy sold it to me as "working", I plugged in the whole thing. This caused the logic board not to even power on! Just acted dead. That did not look promising and figued the CPU set was shot.

I figured I might as well remove each CPU off the LCS and have a look, and to my surprise, the "white rice" had blue/green rice as well! Some was on the CPU card itself. Since there was nothing more to lose, I used a toothbrush and some 90% alcohol and scrubbed at the cpu board to remove as much of it as I could. I then grabbed a spare heatsink set I had from some 2.0s and applied new thermal paste. I first used my 2.7ghz G5 tower which I knew worked. After hitting the power button, WHALA! it booted.... :)

Now was the actual testing I meant to try... I then removed the 2.5ghz cpu set from the 2.7ghz g5 I had, and then brought out my 2.0ghz g5. I swapped out the CPUs and pressed the power button... It powered up, but I heard no "chime", and figured it didn't work. I then remembered this G5 tower had its volume turned all the way down so of course you wouldn't hear a chime. I attached a screen and I was greeted with the "folder" icon since I had no HDD attached.

So there you have it. A 2.0ghz board CAN and WILL clock to 2.5ghz max speed. This 2.0ghz G5 is the "newer" revision model that has the 8 memory bank slots. Before you do such swapping, be sure to update to the newest Boot Rom.

**I noticed when MorphOS boots up, it "quiets" down the fans and they do low RPMS. This of course will start to heat up the CPUs at uncomfortable levels (80c), so might as well swap out the fans for something that flows air MUCH better. You have been warned. :)**

2.5ghz memory test

CPU info 2.5ghz

Thank and enjoy your day!
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »04.08.13 - 19:16
    Profile Visit Website