• MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    @Crumb

please reply and tell us what do you think and what would be the minimum you require

The cash is not a problem here. The problem may be my lack of knowledge especially about Quark internals and basics of Exec. While I have some sketched ideas, I may simply be not aware of serious obstacles. Said that it is clear that implementing assymetric multiprocessing would require cooperation with other team members, especially those with needed knowledge and source code access. Some of them may be not convinced that AMP is a good idea, when one considers that CPU architecture switch will be unavoidable in the future. While AMP may be designed in a way making it forward compatible with hypothetic SMP of "nextgen" MorphOS, it still may be considered pointless temporary complication.

Remember that the base I would need is that extra processors/cores have basic setup done by Quark. They will need a MMU map consistent with the map of the primary processor. There are also many more details of PowerPC processor initialization. Then Quark has to launch the main code loop on each extra processor. Basic IPC primitives (signals, semaphores) must be verified to be multicore safe. Only having that one can proceed further implementing process scheduler for secondary cores, load balancer and set of API-s needed.

All this would require significant amount of work not only from me, but other team members. Some of them may consider it a waste of time.

Also one has to live with the fact that libnix and especially ixemul will probably never be made to use multiple processors, at least it would require some serious rewrite. As I use neither of them in my projects, I'm not really motivated to dive into this mud.

Taking it all into account and adding the fact that I have several projects in progress, rushing a bounty now may be premature.
  • »18.06.13 - 17:49
    Profile Visit Website