• MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

TomKeric wrote:
    I have now tested again with "boot /pci/cd" and it returns "Cant't open device or file"

It seems I am not possible to upgrade my 3.1 installation. I only have 2 things I know of that is different compared to a clean 3.1 installation:

The CD should always boot.If not there are just a few reasons:

1. Keyboard is not working properly or you pushed the C-key to early. Push right at the chime.
    2. Your drive is dying.
    3. The MorphOS 3.2 CD/ISO used is from the first 4 hours after release.

If you get the "boot.img is too old" message and you are sure you used a recent version of the iso, then you simply did not boot from CD. e.g. the C-key did not work. Try pressing and holding ALT. Then wait for the CD icon to appear, select it and push continue.

That is the only way to be sure you actually booted the CD for real.

If even booting the graphical boot menu fails with "boot image is too old" message, then you mixed up the broken CD/ISO with the recent one at some point. Compare files MD5 with the one on the download page.

If you want to avoid (or create) trouble - this is on your own risk, boot up 3.1, launch mounter and make the hfs boot partition visible. Insert the CD, pick up the boot.img from mac_ppc32 drawer and copy it over to that partition. Do not use any other boot.img file. ppc64 is for g5 only and will not work on a g4. Open a shell and call HFSSetMacBoot. Use the new boot.img as argument. Now reboot without pressing anything. It should boot the cd, so you can install.

Again, be warned. If your drive or your media is broken, you render your system useless when doing this. CD booting should always work! The MorphOS CD is not just some installation CD. It comes handy for fixing and repairing installations, so you should try to find out what the real issue is.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 07.06.2013 - 10:03 ]
  • »07.06.13 - 08:58