Atheros 5k MorphOS wifi support
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    None of this bothers me on a desktop because I'm not adverse to running cat5 cables to each computer desk.
    But with laptops its really asnnoying. And the iBooks wifi is never likely to be supported.
    We really could use a good USB solution.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.06.13 - 00:23
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

> So am I right in assuming that when my G5 arrives I will only be able to
    > use ethernet because USB wifi adapters are currently unsupported?

Yes, you are. You could still use a WLAN Ethernet bridge though. That's what I do with my Mac mini G4.

Atheros 5000 based PCI cards won't work on G5 machines? Don't they have compatible PCI bus or why?
  • »20.06.13 - 06:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > So am I right in assuming that when my G5 arrives I will only be able to
    > use ethernet because USB wifi adapters are currently unsupported?

Yes, you are. You could still use a WLAN Ethernet bridge though. That's what I do with my Mac mini G4.

Thanks, that's what I'll do as running cable from my office to downstairs where my router sits will be a pain.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »20.06.13 - 10:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Atheros 5000 based PCI cards won't work on G5 machines?

Not with MorphOS 3.2 apparently:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9234&forum=3&start=16

> Don't they have compatible PCI bus or why?

I don't know what the reason for reported non-support of PCI slots in PowerMac G5 is.
  • »20.06.13 - 12:22
  • rNx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    rNx
    Web Caster FT-STC-Na/g works, but only with static IP.
  • »28.06.13 - 16:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    I'm using an Ethernet to WiFi bridge on my G5.

It cost about £10 on eBay from China.

The weird thing is that it's very fast on MorphOS but on osx it is very slow.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »28.06.13 - 17:36
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    imax
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    I'm using an Ethernet to WiFi bridge on my G5.
    It cost about £10 on eBay from China.

Hi All !
    I bay this :

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chinapost-VAP11G-RJ45-Mini-WIFI-Bridge-Wireless-Bridge-For-Dreambox-Openbox-Xbox-PS3-PC-Camera-TV/521120958.html

Wintel required for initialization.
    Macmini work without problems.
    MacBook requires some tricks.
  • »20.07.13 - 06:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiga4001
    I am having an issue with the wireless settings.
    If I have a connection and do a shutdown/poweroff , connection is no longer possible.
    Only way to get it back online is choose another network save reboot and choose my own network again reenter the wpa2 key ,then it's back online.
    Anybody else experiencing this kind off behaviour?
    Powerbook 5,4 1.5GHz 1.5GB ram
  • »20.07.13 - 06:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I am the CommVEx show in Las Vegas, displaying MorphOS3.2 on my 17" G4 PowerBook, and AmigaOS4.1.6 on my X1000. I can get my Netgear WG511T wireless NIC to connect to the hotel WLAN, but for some strange reason, it only wants to work for a few minutes, then loses it's wireless connection until I reboot.

I would like to demonstrate a truly wirelessly connected Amiga-Like laptop to everyone here, but have no idea what the problem might be.

Any ideas why it is dropping it's wireless connection to the hotel's WLAN?

Edit: Can only get connected to the hotel's WLAN using DHCP. One of the other users here might be able to set up his equipment to broadcast a different WLAN that I might be able to use a static IP address to connect to, but that has not been accomplished yet. Is DHCP working for my Netgear card while running MorphOS3.2?

[ Edited by amigadave 26.07.2013 - 21:07 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.07.13 - 05:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I am the CommVEx show in Las Vegas, displaying MorphOS3.2 on my 17" G4 PowerBook, and AmigaOS4.1.6 on my X1000. I can get my Netgear WG511T wireless NIC to connect to the hotel WLAN, but for some strange reason, it only wants to work for a few minutes, then loses it's wireless connection until I reboot.

I would like to demonstrate a truly wirelessly connected Amiga-Like laptop to everyone here, but have no idea what the problem might be.

Any ideas why it is dropping it's wireless connection to the hotel's WLAN?

Edit: Can only get connected to the hotel's WLAN using DHCP. One of the other users here might be able to set up his equipment to broadcast a different WLAN that I might be able to use a static IP address to connect to, but that has not been accomplished yet. Is DHCP working for my Netgear card while running MorphOS3.2?

I had this problem when my router was set to any channel above 11.

When I set it to use channel 3 (None of my neighbours seemed to be using this channel) the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

• »27.07.13 - 05:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Unfortunately, I can't change the channel of the hotel's router, so will have to suffer with how it is partially working now, or depend on Tim to set up a secondary WLAN that I can connect to.
  • »27.07.13 - 17:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Unfortunately, I can't change the channel of the hotel's router, so will have to suffer with how it is partially working now, or depend on Tim to set up a secondary WLAN that I can connect to.

Perhaps you could teher your mobileephone to your Powerbook and use it's internet connection?

• »27.07.13 - 18:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Perhaps you could teher your mobileephone to your Powerbook and use it's internet connection?

Actually, it seems to be working faster now, so maybe the hotel WLAN is performing better today.

Are there any other threads here or on other forum sites that suggest any settings I can change to improve wireless performance? It is acceptable now, so I am not worried about changing it too much.
  • »28.07.13 - 03:16
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    I had this problem when my router was set to any channel above 11.

When I set it to use channel 3 (None of my neighbours seemed to be using this channel) the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

As AmigaDave is in the United States, channels above 11 are generally not being used anywhere as operation of channel 12 and 13 are only allowed in low power modes which dramatically reduce the network range. (The situation is similar in Canada.)
  • »28.07.13 - 09:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Having a completely portable MorphOS3.2 is really great! Too bad I only brought one of my two PowerBook batteries with me, and it is the weaker of the two at that, so my battery life is limited to less than an hour.

My 15" G4 PowerBook just recently one of it's cooling fans fail, and I have not yet completed the replacement of both fans and the heat sink, so this 17" G4 PowerBook is my only working laptop computer at the moment. I noticed that the thermal paste on that model was way too much and I doubt it was cooling well the last few months, which probably contributed to the failure of the fan, as it was probably running more often than it should have been. It would probably be a good idea for any G4 PowerBook owner to disassemble and re-apply the thermal paste on the heat sinks, or Graphics and CPU chips, to lengthen the life of their G4 PowerBook.
  • »28.07.13 - 20:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Do any of you know if MorphOS3.2 allows Internet Sharing, like MacOSX does?

Can I connect any Ethernet cable and serve my wireless Internet to another computer, like I can while running MacOSX?

Probably would not do it too often, but it might come in handy once in a while.
  • »29.07.13 - 06:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Do any of you know if MorphOS3.2 allows Internet Sharing, like MacOSX does?

Nope. You'd have to install MiamiDX ;)
  • »29.07.13 - 09:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    So, and I'm sure this has been covered, but if the TL WN550G Atheros based PCI card works under AROS it can be assumed to work under MorphOS?
  • »15.09.13 - 03:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if the TL WN550G Atheros based PCI card works under AROS it can be assumed
    > to work under MorphOS?

Yes.
  • »15.09.13 - 09:54
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Thanks Andreas.
    I decide to move one PowerMac to a location that would be difficult to run Cat5 wiring to.
    So the wireless card become necessary.
    And the adapter I have for my iBook is prohibitively expensive.
  • »15.09.13 - 19:53
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    Krashan,
    Quote:

My Cisco Aironet card has just arrived. I've plugged it in, booted the PowerBook, entered network prefs. "wl0" interface has been created automatically. Then I clicked the checkmark to enable it. It loaded list of networks, my one was at the top (probably sorted by signal strength). I selected it, set static IP (I have no DHCP on my LAN), then has been asked for the WPA passphrase. Entered it and voila: wirelessly online in less than a minute

I just bought a Netgear WG511 v2 and plugged it in in my Powerbook 5.9 with MOS 3.4.

But nothing happens, no new device, and no lights on the card.

>As the card does not physically fit my Dell M4300 of Amiga 1200 is it possible to test this >Netgear card for 100% working ?

Update: the card does work in my Dell M4300 laptop.

[ Edited by bennymee 21.12.2013 - 20:46 ]
  • »21.12.13 - 20:16
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

bennymee wrote:
    I just bought a Netgear WG511 v2 and plugged it in in my Powerbook 5.9 with MOS 3.4.

But nothing happens, no new device, and no lights on the card.

Quick googling tells that WG511 v2 has either Marvell or Prism chipset, so it's not going to work. Only Atheros chipset based cards are supported.
  • »21.12.13 - 20:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    jPV,
    Quote:

Quick googling tells that WG511 v2 has either Marvell or Prism chipset, so it's not going to work. Only Atheros chipset based cards are supported.

OK thanks, I asummed al 511WG xxx had the right chipset.

I'll search for a new one somewhere....

[ Edited by bennymee 21.12.2013 - 21:29 ]
  • »21.12.13 - 21:27
  • DH1
  • Just looking around
    DH1
    Pegasos 2 B1
    MorphOS 3.4
    Netgear WG311T wifi card

Working!
  • »22.12.13 - 00:08
    Profile Visit Website