• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Oh, it has been almost three years since that was first mentioned?

Considering the popularity of small form factor devices like the Mac Mini, I am surprised that it was pursued.

And the PCIe models offer us one other possibility that has not received much attention.
    A Mac compatible rom is not a necessity to use a video card.
    Sure, without it you are not getting into Open Firmware, but we already have cards (like the Voodoo3 PCI cards) that run without it.

In recent years, with our focus on Mac models. I have found it useful to send the non-Apple cards I want to use to a friend Christian Guastella. He has been converting PC cards for Mac use for some time and has is pretty knowledable about the older cards and the new efi cards.

He recently mentioned this to me "...for mac pro I have some cards with boot screens and some not.. I make sure to be real clear about it when selling because there are folks that want to use the boot-selection thing to get into windows etc.. others really don't care (use multiple boot partitions/drives/OSes), and can keep an older cheaper card in the drawer (in case they need to see what's hanging stuff on boot)...

So, while we would still need to keep a Mac compatible card on hand to gain access to the boot screens, the PCIe G5 Macs open up the possibility of running virtually anything that can physically be plugged into them.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.11.13 - 16:33