• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Quote:

> I just noticed from Acube's site that the Sam 440EP is out of production.

Sam440ep-flex still available at 667 and 733 MHz from ACube:

https://acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/5-sam-motherboards

I don't know if those are just remaining stock, though.

Quote:

> It would be a good alternative to Pegasos 2

Quote:

Performance-wise, the Pegasos 2 wipes the floor even with the fastest Sam440.

Well I mean this very first model anyway,
    http://acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=1
    yep the 440EP Flex models are available.

Of course a Peg2 is faster than a SAM and to me Peg2 is the ultimate machine it can run everything.

But in the case of a MorphOS port on Sam440 / 460 Sam would be the newer hardware available to be abel to run both AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS and this would be the big difference with Macs. Just this. Macs are faster and cheaper but unable to run both OSes only by this point of view a port to 440 / 460 would be interesting.

And I want to say this. The rule about the Mac "cheap" machines is not a standard. To buy a used PPC Mac for a cheap price I got to buy it from ebay or from abroad. In Greece this cheap price is not always an option. In this case -buying from abroad- the cheap is becoming expensive. Why? Because of the postage... And you have to be anxious if the machine would come stable and working and not broken.

The same goes for all those Radeon cards needed for MorphOS. Have you tried to locate a Radeon Mac edition and check the prices on ebay?

I wanted a Powerbook the higher model and the general price I located back on the day when I was searching was 400 euros (ebay etc) for a great quality machine. Well this is not cheap.

I know that everyone would shoot me on the face for this and would post 1000 links of cheap products on ebay now. But I wish I would have the option to buy all this stuff deadly cheap from my country -as many of you describe on your posts- and not from the other part of the planet.

The exception in this case could be the Mac Mini.

I love MorphOS port on the PowerMacs and I will support it till the end but with those last words I wanted to express my personal experience about the cheap used Apple hardware. Well this is not a rule.

[ Edited by CountRaven 19.08.2013 - 12:27 ]
  • »19.08.13 - 09:39
    Profile Visit Website