[Mac mini]: Ethernet Port not working
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Hello Guys!

Since yesterday I have a problem with my Mac mini ethernet connection which worked flawlessly before. I was using owb for hours and then suddenly I lost the connection ("couldn't resolve host name").

Since then I

1. tested the cable -> works on my windows notebook and pc
    2. booted from cd -> connection not working.
    3. checked the settings for a hundred times (MOS & Router).

Maybe the ethernet port is damaged, but the router led shows connection when I plug in the cable!? I bought the Mac mini a few days ago for MorphOs and registered MorphOS three days ago. Without working internet connection it has no use to me. What more testing can I do? Is there another possibility to connect the Mac mini with the internet (maybe a usb to rj45 adapter)? Otherwise I burned a lot of money and will not be able to use MorphOS... :-(

Please help me.
    Mac mini G4 Silent-Upgrade - MorphOS 3.2 registered
  • »31.10.12 - 15:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Hi mate, I'm sorry to hear about your problem :(

Did you check if pinging to a router gives any effect? Did you try to reach your router frontend via www?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »31.10.12 - 15:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    hi pampers! thx for your fast reaction. :-)

I tried both ways. "No route to host", allthough the router led is blinking...

Just when I started to fall in love with MOS... :-(
  • »31.10.12 - 15:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Have you got an OSX so you can check if on mac side it doesn't work as well?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »31.10.12 - 16:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    ZOURIS
    - reboot the router
    - change network cable with one you're sure that works
    - changer router port
    - if nothing better, unplug each connected devices (any computer or switch, no active wifi link), this because you can have a conflict on the IP adress (says, your macmini have no dhcp or some other device like printer).
    - connect to the router (web interface or terminal), and try to see which devices are connected to the router

also is there any switch behind the router? I saw some switches in autoconfig mode that have negiciated a bad network mask....

hope this helps
  • »31.10.12 - 16:28
  • Just looking around
    ZOURIS
    you can also try fixing you IP adress (i don't know how under MOS)

says if your router gives adresses like 192.168.1.xx and subnet 255.255.255.0

you can fix your mos machine with 192.168.1.20 subnet 255.255.255.0 and don't forget the DNS or you won't be able to resolve names.
  • »31.10.12 - 16:56
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    ZOURIS,
    Quote:

you can also try fixing you IP adress (i don't know how under MOS)

Right click on desktop to bring menu
    Settings>System
    Network

First tab:
    Set eth0 to static IP address (radio button)
    Enter IP address (depends on your network setup)
    Enter subnet mask (255.255.255.0)
    Enter gateway (IP address of your router).

Second tab:
    Enter DNS addresses (eg 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Google's DNS servers).

Save

[ Edited by boot_wb 31.10.2012 - 17:14 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »31.10.12 - 17:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    pampers,
    Quote:

Have you got an OSX so you can check if on mac side it doesn't work as well?

No, I have MOS only.

ZOURIS,
    Quote:

- reboot the router
    - change network cable with one you're sure that works
    - changer router port
    - if nothing better, unplug each connected devices (any computer or switch, no active wifi link), this because you can have a conflict on the IP adress (says, your macmini have no dhcp or some other device like printer).
    - connect to the router (web interface or terminal), and try to see which devices are connected to the router

also is there any switch behind the router? I saw some switches in autoconfig mode that have negiciated a bad network mask....

hope this helps

Hi Zouris, thank you very much for your detailed help. I did a reset on the router and tested with several network cables. Windows notebook and pc work in this configuration. No reaction on MOS. I tested with with the Mac mini as the only computer in the network. There is no switch behind the router. I tried dynamic and static IP with all settings.

Up to now I have even disassasembled the Mac mini, which was a good thing, because there were no screws in the hdd and only one in the mainboard. "Used" hardware...

Thank you too, boot_wb.

Is there a way of directly adressing the ethernet port under MOS??? I think that I have to face the fact, that the ethernet port is broken. My personal nightmare.

Is there a way to connct to a network without the ethernet port??? I need an alternative...

[ Editiert durch noob 31.10.2012 - 20:30 ]
  • »31.10.12 - 19:26
    boot_wb
    Open a shell and type 'showinterface eth0'

what does it say?

Windows free since 2011!
  • »31.10.12 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Interface Name: eth0, type: 1

Tags:
    Device: DEVS:Networks/sungem_eth.device
    Unit: 0
    DoOnline: True
    UseDHCP: True
  • »31.10.12 - 19:42
    boot_wb
    Quote:

UseDHCP: True

It's still using DHCP to obtain an IP address. Try setting it to a static IP as outlined above.

EDIT: Make sure to hit the 'save' button, not just close the window.

Regards

Rich

[ Edited by boot_wb 31.10.2012 - 19:54 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »31.10.12 - 19:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    Ok, I reconfigured the network to static ip:

Interface Name: eth0, type: 1

Tags:
    Device: DEVS:Networks/sungem_eth.device
    Unit: 0
    DoOnline: True
    IPAddr: 192.168.0.254
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 is my router.
    192.168.0.254 is definetly unused by another computer (pinged it under windows)

No reaction @all. Can't ping router. No Connection, but again the router led is green on the used port. o.O
  • »31.10.12 - 20:13
    boot_wb
    Bizarre.
    Out of ideas at that point matey, although if it is truly kaput, you could try using a USB>Ethernet adapter.

Windows free since 2011!
  • »31.10.12 - 21:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    boot_wb, thank you very much for your help.

Has anyone experience with an usb -> RJ45 adapter? Does it work?
  • »31.10.12 - 21:14
    boot_wb
    noob,
    Quote:

Has anyone experience with an usb -> RJ45 adapter? Does it work?

Posting this using a Belkin USB 10/100 Ethernet adapter model F5D5050.

It uses the Pegasus.class, which needs to be enabled in USB prefs. Happy to walk you through it once you get the adapter.

(PS It may be beating a dead horse, but have you examined the Mac mini ethernet port for any obvious bent contacts or fluff?)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »01.11.12 - 01:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

Posting this using a Belkin USB 10/100 Ethernet adapter model F5D5050.

It uses the Pegasus.class, which needs to be enabled in USB prefs. Happy to walk you through it once you get the adapter.

boot_wb, you are the man(does this really sound cool in english? for me as a german it does)!!! :-)

I ordered an adapter yesterday. It's not the Belkin, but I hope it will work...

boot_wb,
    Quote:

PS It may be beating a dead horse, but have you examined the Mac mini ethernet port for any obvious bent contacts or fluff?)

The testing will go on. Thank you very, very much!!!
  • »01.11.12 - 16:51
    boot_wb
    Quote:

boot_wb, you are the man(does this really sound cool in english? for me as a german it does)!!!

Aw, shucks. :blush
    The forums are a good place to ask questions; most people are pretty helpful - it's a good community.

Quote:

I ordered an adapter yesterday. It's not the Belkin, but I hope it will work...

It will depend on the chipset used in the adapter. The Belkin one uses the pegasus chipset, and is pretty cheap (and considered a reliable brand). I believe there are other chipsets supported (Davicom, ASIX, Moschip MCS7830, possibly others through ethwrap) but I don't have a list of supported makes/models (perhaps Andreas_Wolf will be kind enough to supply a link. :-)

Quote:

The testing will go on. Thank you very, very much!!!

You're welcome, I hope it magically starts working again.
    (fwiw it seems as if the system still recognises the onboard ethernet chip, so it's probably just a mechanical/connectivity failure, or passive component burnt out. The resulting good news is that it shouldn't affect your registration key (which is tied to the onboard ethernet MAC address).)

Gruß

Rich

Windows free since 2011!
  • »01.11.12 - 19:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The Belkin one uses the pegasus chipset [...]. I believe there are other chipsets
    > supported (Davicom, ASIX, Moschip MCS7830, possibly others through ethwrap)
    > but I don't have a list of supported makes/models (perhaps Andreas_Wolf will
    > be kind enough to supply a link.

At your service:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/AROS_USB_support#USB_.E2.86.92_ethernet_convertor

This list is for AROS but should be valid for MorphOS as well, I think.
  • »01.11.12 - 19:38
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    caver99
    on a pc download and burn ubuntu for mac and see if the network works on it as its free and only uses a cd.
    Powermac quicksilver Dual 1ghz Dual Boot Morph OS 3.7 and OS X 10.5.8
    PS3 x5
    Xbox 360 x 6
    Wii x 3
    PSP x 3
    DS x 3
    Custom Gaming Rig
    :-o
  • »02.11.12 - 15:13
  • Just looking around
    ZOURIS
    Ok, I have another idea;)

I got in my job many Dell and lenovo laptop who present some problems with ethernet chips.
    The problem is as follow: under certain conditions the network card is blinking, but there is just no link to the active component behing the network link (router/switch)...So as you seems to experience right now.

I found a workaround: go into BIOS, desactivate the network card, reboot. Then go to BIOS again reactivate the network card. For dell computers, I also have to uninstall the network driver by hand, and at second reboot time, the driver just reinstalls itself alone.

I tourns out that each time, this was a working workaround. For Lenovo computers, I found that if there is not enough electricity, the network card is just broking (end shutting down the computer doesn't resolve the issue obviously). So I have replaced all netgear switches we can find in meeting rooms by proper cisco switches, and there is just no more problems.

So now, the problem is: How would you desactivate the network card on a macmini, then reactivate, although I have one, I do not plug my hands on it too often to know the right way to do it (if any).
  • »04.11.12 - 08:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    you could reset pram, check some OF docs
  • »04.11.12 - 13:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    You guys are all so nice! So many people are trying to help me. Seems that the MOS Community is very good.

boot_wb,
    Quote:

You're welcome, I hope it magically starts working again.

It really did, but just for about two hours. I disassembled the mini again and removed the wifi-adapter. After reasambling it magically worked again. So I believed that I found a solution. The network settings were switched back to dhcp at this time. But after two hours I lost the connection again. Now everything is like before. When it was working the router led was blinking more than now.

Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

At your service:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/AROS_USB_support#USB_.E2.86.92_ethernet_convertor

This list is for AROS but should be valid MorphOS as well, I think.

Thank you very much for that, Andreas. I found a Belkin F5D5050 in the uk. And as it is working for boot_wb I ordered it. I am awaiting the delivery the next days. And I have ordered a USB-Ethernet-Adapter with Asix chipset. Just to make sure everything will work fine. I am addicted to MOS, just want to have the internet working. No matter what I have to do. ;-)

ZOURIS,
    Quote:

I found a workaround: go into BIOS, desactivate the network card, reboot. Then go to BIOS again reactivate the network card. For dell computers, I also have to uninstall the network driver by hand, and at second reboot time, the driver just reinstalls itself alone.

ZOURIS I thank you so much. I had the same thing years ago with a windows computer. That workaround worked for me too, in these days. Until the ethernet port (it was onboard) past away. But as I understood until now there is no bios on the mac mini for disabling the port!?

But now comes zukow:
    zukow,
    Quote:

you could reset pram, check some OF docs

Great, zukow. The pram reset is easy to do. And you can be sure that it worked when MOS says you are back in the 90s. But the ethernet port was not affected by that. Did it about 20 times up to now.

OK guys, I am waiting for my usb-ethernet-adapters. I am sure that we will bring back my mini online with that. Thank you all so much. Great OS, great users!!! :-)
  • »06.11.12 - 19:04
  • Just looking around
    ZOURIS
    You're Welcome.

Believe me or not, I just installed the latest mophos version yesterday (haven't fired up the macmini for a long time), then....no network, although there is some activity since the link is up.

So I started to suspect a poor quality of the ethernet chip/connector.

So I just have plugged an autoconfig switch to my router (an old netgear), then plugged to the macmini....nothing better.

Then I configured a cisco switch to replace the netgear and....no problem so far.

Maybe, if the signal is not powered enough the macmini just cannot make the link to work properly...and a cisco was a solution for me.

Although it's far less exansive to add a network card than buy a cisco switch;) - That was just because I had that in stock;)

If you had a chance to test the network with a good switch (don't buy one just to please me), I'll be interested to know if it solved the problem....taht may ba also a resistor who is in bad state, but that was funny to sudently have the exact same problem as you:!:!
  • »07.11.12 - 16:03
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    noob
    ZOURIS,
    Quote:

Believe me or not...

I believe. ;-)

I wish I had a cisco, too. Very nice that you had success! :-)

Ok guys, the Belkin F5D5050 arrived. What have I to do to enable it?
  • »10.11.12 - 14:23
    boot_wb
    Hi Noob,

Boot into MorphOS and go to USB settings (right click on desktop, Settings>System choose 'USB' in the preferences panel).
    In USB preferences choose 'classes' in the left hand pane.

There should now be a list of USB classes available, with some buttons below.
    In the 'class library' field (above the buttons) enter MOSSYS:Classes/USB/ (if it isn't already present).
    Press the 'Dir scan' button.*

In USB preferences choose 'devices' in the left hand pane.
    Plug in your USB ethernet dongle. It should now show up in 'Devices' and automatically bind to the correct class (Pegasus.class in this case).**

Press 'Save' to exit the USB prefs and return to the main prefs panel.

Now go to the Network settings. Assuming all went well, your USB ethernet dongle should now be available as 'Eth1', and can be configured in the same way outlined earlier in the thread.

Please let us know how it goes.

Rich

* (This is the only time you should have to do this - all classes will be available from now on. I'm not sure why all classes aren't available by default to be honest).
    ** (although If you've forced a binding to a different class, this will need releasing before it will automatically bind to Pegasus.class.)

[ Edited by boot_wb 10.11.2012 - 16:44 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »10.11.12 - 15:15
    Profile Visit Website