• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Crumb wrote:,
    Quote:

@amigadave

I agree with most of your points although driver support would be essential.

No 3D/video acceleration = fail.

I would prefer a port to x86-64bit hardware as it's better documented, easier to find, easier to replace by a faster machine and less limited. 256MB was very bad and 512MB is not so bad but I prefer having 8GB and being able to connect a pair of 2TB drives instead of using 512MB of ram, a sd card as hd, a slow ethernet port and not so fast usb2.0. It's fine as xbmc box but I would never use it as a desktop without proper driver support.

I thought that what I wrote equaled exactly what you stated again in your reply above, except I did not mention my preference for x86/x64 for more powerful solutions.

In my opinion, the only thing the Raspberry Pi has going for it is the low price, but more important is the number of units already sold and likely to be sold in the future. That huge community of users is what would be attractive, because assuming we could interest even 2% of the people we could show MorphOS3.x to on the Raspberry Pi, 2% of 20,000 to 40,000 Raspberry Pi users (I don't know how many have been sold so far, but it is a large number), is much higher than 30% of the users of a much less popular product. Also, given the popularity of the Raspberry Pi, and the amount of media coverage it receives when something new comes out that can run on it, or a new use that someone finds for it, there would be a greater chance for wide spread coverage of an announcement of a port of MorphOS3.x to the Raspberry Pi, than there would be to any small production run alternative, even if the alternative was twice as powerful at half the price.

All I am saying is that "IF" the MorphOS Dev. Team decides to port to "ANY" ARM device, I think it would be smart for them to start with the Raspberry Pi, but only if, as Crumb and myself have tried to point out, they could leverage the Raspberry Pi's GPU as well as the Linux kernel currently does.

No drivers & no 3D/Video acceleration = FAIL! Which is why this port will probably never happen.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.03.13 - 18:26