• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    TomKeric wrote:,
    Quote:

I think ARM is the best future route fo MorphOS. A €35 light/stripped MOS version ported for RPi would be a perfect match to raise awareness until Cortex 64 bit A57 is brought to market. RPi have many benefits to piggy back on that attracts interest:

1 it is REALLY small - yet a real computer
    2. It is unique new appoach
    3. It has 512 mb mem and cpu can be overclocked up to 1000MGz
    4. It is fun
    5. It can be used as mediaplayer.
    6. It needs a good and light OS when you like to surf, play simple games etc
    7. It is selling big volumes so many can come in contact with MorphOS, preparing them for more powerful hardware on cortex A57 in 1-2 years

I agree that porting MorphOS3.x to the Raspberry Pi "could be" a good way to spread awareness of MorphOS3.x to thousands of users who would probably otherwise never hear about it, but in answer to your 7 points above:

1. Yes it is small, but the definition of what is a "real computer" is debatable.
    2. You did not say what part of the Raspberry Pi you thought was so unique, but I guess I can agree that one or more the technologies used with the Raspberry Pi are done in a unique way.
    3. Stating the obvious.
    4. Subjective assessment, your level of "fun" is dependent on what you think is fun and what you are going to do with your Raspberry Pi. Running MorphOS3.x on my Raspberry Pi would be fun for me.
    5. Again, stating the obvious, but lots more work would probably be needed to allow the Raspberry Pi to be even close to as good a media player while running MorphOS3.x, as it currently is while running Linux.
    6. MorphOS3.x is a very nice and very lightweight OS that could be a perfect fit for the Raspberry Pi, but we still need tons more software to make a port to any hardware successful with the general public, instead of just former Amiga users. I think that with more native MorphOS software, it could be attractive to many users who are currently Non-MorphOS users.
    7. The potential for increased exposure for MorphOS3.x, if ported to the Raspberry Pi, is huge, but it would only be good exposure and successful, if the port of MorphOS3.x to the Raspberry Pi also included the same level of graphics drivers which are currently available, that allow Linux to run 1080p video at respectable frame rates on the Raspberry Pi, plus more software that is needed and usually expected by the general computing user, and which is currently lacking in the MorphOS community. As for the Raspberry Pi being a good choice as a first port to any ARM based computer device, the price is certainly right, so I say "why not". When the MorphOS Dev. Team is ready to make the jump to a different architecture, they could do a lot worse than the Raspberry Pi. ;-)
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.03.13 - 19:57