New multithreaded e6500 core with AltiVec technology
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > If the new chips are PPC, at least i hope they are more powerful than
    > the ones in my washing machine...

That's the nice thing about PPC: it scales from washing machines all the way up to supercomputers :-) But pity is that it's missing some domains in between.
  • »13.04.12 - 00:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

Until then, I prefer that MorphOS stay as it is now, on PPC hardware, either used Mac's like they have been supporting, or if cost effective, possibly on custom, or embedded PPC hardware in the future. As long as they can provide the functionality that we all want & need when using the available PPC architecture, I see no reason to switch to any other architecture, just because everyone else has already done so.

There's nothing wrong with the chips or the boards but in the minute volumes you have you there will be no alternative but to pay X1000 style prices for them. I'd say that's a pretty big reason.

Do you really want to pay top dollar for a machine which will be beaten by a phone in the next couple of years? Then Indian $35 tablet will soon have better hardware!

Changing platform is an opportunity. It's going to break compatibility so why not do it properly and add all the stuff that's been missing - (memory protection, SMP etc, etc...).

It'll take time, but changing platform will give you cheap, powerful hardware *and* a potentially much upgraded OS.

[ Edited by minator 12.04.2012 - 22:40 ]
  • »13.04.12 - 00:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    minator,
    Quote:

Changing platform is an opportunity. It's going to break compatibility so why not do it properly and add all the stuff that's been missing - (memory protection, SMP etc, etc...).

It'll take time, but changing platform will give you cheap, powerful hardware *and* a potentially much upgraded OS.

You might as well just switch to Linux or AROS now and modify that to look and act more like MorphOS. It seems to have what you are looking for.

I would not call my dual 2.7GHz G5 hardware comparable to a cell phone and it also did not cost in the price range of the X1000. I can find a dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac for you too, probably for about $250, maybe less.

I am not opposed to MorphOS eventually moving to another platform, but I would prefer if they move to x86 that they would join forces with the existing AROS developers. I would also prefer that they complete the port to the 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac, just to show how fast and powerful MorphOS on PPC could be, before they make a change to a different platform.

It is all up to the MorphOS Dev. Team, so it does not matter what anyone else wants, as you and I do not have a vote in the matter.

minitor wrote:
    Quote:

How long will it take to port MorphOS to x86 and how different will it be by the time it is done? It looks like the MorphOS user base shrank by half or more when they moved from being free to the paid for version 2.0. I would guess that it would probably shrink by half or more again, if it takes 18 months to 2 years, before a beta version of MorphOS on x86 was ready to release and it is little more than a commercial version of AROS with a MorphOS look & feel.

[ Edited by amigadave 12.04.2012 - 18:01 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »13.04.12 - 04:43
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Quote:

yea, I'd like this in a 2.0ghz setup.

Same here!

MorphOS on x86???

Do not know.... hmmm....
  • »13.04.12 - 07:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I'd like this in a 2.0ghz setup.

> Same here!

Then you will have to wait for the T5 as the T4 has been relegated from 2.0 to 1.8 GHz.
  • »13.04.12 - 08:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    How many PCI lanes does the T4 support?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »13.04.12 - 21:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > How many PCI lanes does the T4 support?

AFAIK information about the number of PCIe (note the "e", legacy PCI is not supported) lanes is not public yet. What's been revealed is the number of SerDes lanes, of which some will be configurable as PCIe lanes (16 at best in case of T4240, 12 at best in case of T4160; but due to SATA controllers will have to be decreased by 1 or 2 in both cases), and the type and number of the PCIe controllers:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7901&forum=11&start=8
  • »13.04.12 - 21:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > these threads are utterly pointless and a waste of bandwidth

...whereas those threads are useful and an exploitation of bandwidth:

https://community.freescale.com/community/the-embedded-beat/blog/2012/05/03/expert-viewpoint-fused-core-logic-multithreading-for-multicore-performance

;-)
  • »04.05.12 - 08:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

>> How many PCI lanes does the T4 support?

> AFAIK information about the number of PCIe (note the "e", legacy PCI is not supported)
    > lanes is not public yet. What's been revealed is the number of SerDes lanes, of which
    > some will be configurable as PCIe lanes (16 at best in case of T4240, 12 at best in
    > case of T4160; but due to SATA controllers will have to be decreased by 1 or 2
    > in both cases), and the type and number of the PCIe controllers

Looking at http://www.ces.ch/images/stories/ces/product_announcements/riov-2440-product-news.pdf it seems that 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes are possible with the T4240, and that's even (contrary to my expectation) with the 2 SATA2 controllers being active at the same time.
  • »25.01.13 - 00:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> "Availability of the royalty-free Mentor Embedded Performance Library for Freescale's
    > AltiVec technology is planned to coincide with initial availability of QorIQ AMP silicon."
    > http://media.freescale.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=196520&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1603798

New AltiVec libs now available:

http://media.freescale.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=196520&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1830586
    http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4786.pdf

Edit: added PDF link

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 12.09.2013 - 03:27 ]
  • »20.06.13 - 02:01
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    > "AltiVec technology is planned to coincide with initial availability of QorIQ AMP silicon."

Odd, unless someone is getting pre-production silicon, they released this before they said they would.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.06.13 - 03:44
    bash64
    What does all this have to do with MOS?
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »20.06.13 - 04:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    bash64,
    Quote:

If you don't know, then explain it would only make you look foolish.
    Basically, MorphOS' ISA is PPC.
    This is one of the most powerful PPCs yet to be released.
  • »20.06.13 - 04:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

bash64 wrote:

Nothing at all!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.06.13 - 08:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

MorphOS runs on PPPC CPUs, there's nothing wrong in a discussion about the current state of PPC hardware, i find it interesting to read these threads, Andreas, Jim and a few others are discussing stuff i would have probably never heard about if they didn't, it satisfies my curiosity on the topic, and this is quality discussion they have.
  • »20.06.13 - 12:24
    ausPPC
    Had to check and make sure I hadn't wandered onto a red forum by mistake...
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »20.06.13 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    SoundSquare,
    Quote:

MorphOS runs on PPPC CPUs, there's nothing wrong in a discussion about the current state of PPC hardware, i find it interesting to read these threads, Andreas, Jim and a few others are discussing stuff i would have probably never heard about if they didn't, it satisfies my curiosity on the topic, and this is quality discussion they have.

+1
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »20.06.13 - 12:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> "AltiVec technology is planned to coincide with initial availability of QorIQ AMP silicon."

> Odd, unless someone is getting pre-production silicon, they released this before
    > they said they would.

Seeing as the T4240QDS has been available for about half a year, I guess that initial (i.e. pre-production) T4240 silicon has been available for at least as long.
  • »20.06.13 - 13:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What does all this have to do with MOS?

Nothing. You may want to ask the thread opener why he chose to start this thread here in "Hardware" instead of "General Discussion".
  • »20.06.13 - 14:55
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >Seeing as the T4240QDS has been available for about half a year, I guess that initial (i.e. pre-production) T4240 silicon has been available for at least as long.

I wasn't aware of that (obviously).
  • »23.06.13 - 22:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

You may want to ask the thread opener why he chose to start this thread here in "Hardware" instead of "General Discussion".

Well, the e6500 core is/will be part of quite some hardware. Whether that hardware will be a target hardware for MorphOS or not, doesn't cange a thing it's about hardware.

Plus, while I am generally voting for a switch to x64, MorphOS currently uses the ppc ISA and hence every processor of that ISA is somehow related to MorphOS IMHO.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »23.06.13 - 23:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Seeing as the T4240QDS has been available for about half a year, I guess that
    >> initial (i.e. pre-production) T4240 silicon has been available for at least as long.

> I wasn't aware of that (obviously).

I think you were:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=7780&start=21
  • »23.06.13 - 23:25
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes, my recall is suffering as today was my first anniversary away from my wife.
    Good thing I have you as a backup.
  • »23.06.13 - 23:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the e6500 core is/will be part of quite some hardware. Whether that hardware will
    > be a target hardware for MorphOS or not, doesn't cange a thing it's about hardware.
    > [...] MorphOS currently uses the ppc ISA and hence every processor of that ISA is
    > somehow related to MorphOS IMHO.

"The Hardware forum is utilized to provide a place to discuss hardware related issues involving MorphOS." may be interpretable as meaning that MorphOS must already run on the hardware. Personally, I couldn't care less in what subforum this thread resides but obviously some people think it's out of place here, and judging by the description of this subforum they may have a point. Needless to say that the final decision is up to the mods/admins, and as this thread has been living here for the past 2 years it's highly probable that this is indeed regarded as the right subforum by the powers that be.
  • »23.06.13 - 23:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> I guess that initial (i.e. pre-production) T4240 silicon has been available for at least as long.

Prices are now public:

Freescale:
    T4240 1.67 GHz: 570 USD (1000 pcs. qty.)
    T4160 1.67 GHz: 462 USD (1000 pcs. qty.)

Future Electronics:
    T4240 1.67 GHz: 800 USD (single qty.)

DigiKey:
    T4240 1.8 GHz: 833...866 USD (from 25 pcs. qty. to single qty.)

Avnet:
    T4240 ??? GHz: 835...916 USD (from 50 pcs. qty. to single qty.)

Edit: updated prices

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 29.06.2014 - 23:29 ]
  • »27.06.13 - 01:21