• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    minator,
    Quote:

Changing platform is an opportunity. It's going to break compatibility so why not do it properly and add all the stuff that's been missing - (memory protection, SMP etc, etc...).

It'll take time, but changing platform will give you cheap, powerful hardware *and* a potentially much upgraded OS.

You might as well just switch to Linux or AROS now and modify that to look and act more like MorphOS. It seems to have what you are looking for.

I would not call my dual 2.7GHz G5 hardware comparable to a cell phone and it also did not cost in the price range of the X1000. I can find a dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac for you too, probably for about $250, maybe less.

I am not opposed to MorphOS eventually moving to another platform, but I would prefer if they move to x86 that they would join forces with the existing AROS developers. I would also prefer that they complete the port to the 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac, just to show how fast and powerful MorphOS on PPC could be, before they make a change to a different platform.

It is all up to the MorphOS Dev. Team, so it does not matter what anyone else wants, as you and I do not have a vote in the matter.

minitor wrote:
    Quote:

It'll take time, but changing platform will give you cheap, powerful hardware *and* a potentially much upgraded OS.

How long will it take to port MorphOS to x86 and how different will it be by the time it is done? It looks like the MorphOS user base shrank by half or more when they moved from being free to the paid for version 2.0. I would guess that it would probably shrink by half or more again, if it takes 18 months to 2 years, before a beta version of MorphOS on x86 was ready to release and it is little more than a commercial version of AROS with a MorphOS look & feel.

[ Edited by amigadave 12.04.2012 - 18:01 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »13.04.12 - 04:43