• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

Could someone please summarize the doubts, or concerns that Piru and others have regarding the viability of the Natami project?

I can't speak for anyone else but:
    The short version: It is likely to be late, buggy, and it will at best achieve a small fraction of the performance they claim.

The long version:
    It's almost as if there's 2 separate Natami projects. One of these is the real thing the people are making. This seems to be working and competent.

Then there is the version that is "marketed" to the outside world. The problem is they keep making all sorts of outlandish claims that are difficult if not impossible to achieve. Then they keep inventing new ideas to make it "better" whereas in reality these things are only going to make it more complicated and this will make it slower and harder to debug. CPUs are very, very difficult to debug.

Compare this with the FPGA Arcade. They didn't make any outlandish claims and have produced a board that can match an 040 Amiga. Not beat the 040, match it.

What magic technology does the Natami team have access to that the FPGA Arcade team doesn't? They might be able to run their 040 a bit faster because they have an L2 cache and a bigger FPGA but that's not going to be even close to 30x faster.

I actually think it's a perfectly good and viable project. However I also think they do themselves a big disservice by talking such utter tosh about what it's going to be capable of.

If they're lucky and know what they're doing it might be a bit faster than the FPGA Arcade and have some extra modes, but that's it, a bit better.
  • »18.06.11 - 02:23
    Profile Visit Website