• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    A bit off topic, but not any more so than some of the other posts in this thread. I took apart my Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac to move it from a dinged up case to a cleaner one that once housed a half dead 2.5GHz G5 system and found the following corrosion on the liquid cooled heat sink.

corrosion1.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is caused by a slow leak of the coolant, or just a reaction of the dis-similar metals that might have been used in the fabrication of the heat sink?

I have cleaned the corrosion off the heat sink, but wonder if I should have the coolant, or the corrosion's cause, checked by an Apple Technician at the Apple Store before putting back together the system? I have not used the system extensively since I purchased it, but have had it running for a few hours with no obvious overheating, or warning messages. The Dual 2.7GHz G5 system runs very quietly, specially compared to my Dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac MDD. I would think if the system was getting very hot, it would become louder as it increased the fan speed to try to cope with any overheating that might be occurring, but that is not happening.

What do you all think I should do about this new found problem?

Edit: Now I understand why the G5 is so hard to cool, as the contact area between the G5 chips and the heat sink is so tiny, compared to any other CPU I have ever seen.

[ Edited by amigadave 06.04.2011 - 16:25 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.04.11 - 00:22