• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    That price is at least way cheaper than some certain custom ppc board. Two PCIe ports is little, but at least enough to add a gfx card and an audio card. The board is also availavble in volume.

Still expensive, but maybe worth a closer look.

I recently bought a new PC to replace my old. A quad core fourth generation Core i7 4770 (Haswell) CPU with 8MB cache, and a motherboard based on the Z87 chipset with plenty of PCI-e and very nice specs and features, costed me equivalent of $430 USD (excl tax). Not very cheap for a motherboard/CPU combo today, I know, but it's a major step up from my old first generation Core i7 860 "el-cheapo" CPU, and I really need that. The full system (motherboard, CPU, case, PSU, 8GB RAM, Noctua CPU cooler, Radeon R9 270 GFX card, and 256GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO) landed at equivalent of $1360 USD (excl tax).

When the Pegasos 2 G4 was introduced a decade ago, I think I recall its introduction price was €499 EUR (~$680 USD in todays rate) excl tax, but I can be wrong about that? I do recall that I thought it was kind of expensive though for a motherboard/CPU combo, especially by the value of the money back then, but it was a small volume product for a narrow market, so high prices are to be expected, right? After a while the price came down a bit though (as Genesi products usually did after a while), in at least 2 price drops IIRC. And when the Pegasos 2 was finally discontinued, the remaining stock was sold out at $399 USD.

Evaluation motherboards has always been extremely high priced from a consumers perspective. But these kind of motherboards aren't meant for end-users anyway, so it doesn't matter. But if we think that $1445 is cheap, then maybe the community has become "speed blind" regarding prices because of the insane prices of "certain custom ppc boards"? And is a "24-virtual-core" CPU really that relevant in a MorphOS context anyway?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »30.11.13 - 22:40