• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > it took quite a while for linux-users to get to the point,
    > where they could draw (limited) hw-accelerated triangles

Actually, it didn't take much time to get the RSX to draw those triangles after that version of the firmware had been hacked back then.

> Don't know if there's already one or not.

http://wiki.ps2dev.org/ps3:spu-medialib

Wow, and they haven't finished hacking Sony's keys yet (just shown that its inevitable). Yes I think they will move fairly quicly once they've completely unlocked the system.
    Since they know they GPUs vendor, they should be able to make some educated guesses and be able to write some simple code to explore areas that would be likely candidates for the GPU memory mapped functions. It may sound difficult, but I think with each piece of knowledge they gain they'll have a better picture of the overall systems structure.

I don't think this will take as long as some think.

And I'd like to again appologize for suggesting that the MorphOS team consider this platform. An open is the only way to use this information.

Should Sony try to stop distribution of a Linux based OS, the propietary info need not even be included with the files necessary to build a bootable disk (the hacks could be safe stored seperately)..

As there would not be a business enity to attack legally, and community developed free OS is the only realistic way to use this info.

While the PS3 would be slower than a G4 Powermac, it is possible that a PPC linux hosted version of AROS might be developed.

We can't add this platform to our community, but other could.

[ Edited by Jim on 2011/1/1 22:21 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »01.01.11 - 22:19