• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

So in short you guys are saying for what we wanted to do, (owb browse, mplayer,ffmpeg, mame, euae, {anything else fab ports} burn via frying pan or make cd, bluehd, write dvd, multitask wise, it wouldn't process faster than my mini1.5 or the others? I want something faster than the mini, with the mini's size
    As for the ps3, the memory would always be another issue.

If we forget CPU, memory would of course be one issue. But in my opinion the biggest issue would be the GPU. Reverse-engineering it isn't a small thing. Remember it took quite a while for linux-users to get to the point, where they could draw (limited) hw-accelerated triangles (which is very far from complete OpenGL implementation), after which sony of course blocked the access without a notice.

And even if we forget full 3D, at least overlay support would be definitely needed.

Anyway, in my opinion, selling commercial OS for "hacked" platform isn't a good idea in my opinion...

On the other hand, I hope the homebrew for PS3 will really take off and become really mainstream. After Sony's "voluntary remove other os update" (without any compensation for removing advertised features) they most definitely deserve everything that will be coming in 2011 and beyond.

And considering that at least for a while, no modding of any kind should be required to f.ex. install a ps3 port of mplayer(*) which can play any formats PS3 can't, including "wrong region" DVD's, it might become very popular quickly.

(*)Only using mplayer as an example of relatively easy but really useful program, that will likely be among the first for many to install. Don't know if there's already one or not.
  • »01.01.11 - 16:45
    Profile Visit Website