BluRay
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

connor wrote: . . . so few people buy discs. BluRay player and disc sales go down from year to year.
    Many users use discs to record or play media. However, so many users have become frustrated at not having access to all DVD-RW DL (Dual Layer) formats to record in, even though some can be watched, even on our hardware, that they seem to have become complacent about requesting capabilities for what is still possible, and would be beneficial to enhance the capabilities of our OS, whether that be on just DVD player- recorders or on BluRay players
    Quote:

connor wrote:We don't have any good filesystem for that. SFS cannot store files biggfer than almost 4GB (maybe that's enough for your case but not for bigger video files for example).
    You make a valid point, SFS needs to be improved to be able to handle file sizes that are up to more modern standards, as being unable to format a partition of at least 500GB is a real handicap for MorphOS, and even to be able to download file sizes that are recordable as an ISO for a DVD (4.3GB or 8GB approx on Dual-Layer DVDs) is extremely limiting. Though I know we can record a DVD size disc full of data - which is possible as Jalapeno splits/concatenates several sub-ISO files into a single file as it records the data, which is quite neat, but does not solve all our issues with recordable media. :-(
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote: Watch films, extract audio and video, mix and burn new video projects.

Quote:

Reply by jacadcaps wrote: That makes absolutely no sense on PowerPC.

Then why are we still using a PowerPC hardware and a Power PC Operating System? If we are still using PPC as our hardware and OS then anything that relates to those aspects should be "on the table" for discussion and implementation - that seems to be reasonable or why isn't it? :-?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »11.11.23 - 10:03
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:
    Then why are we still using a PowerPC hardware and a Power PC Operating System? If we are still using PPC as our hardware and OS then anything that relates to those aspects should be "on the table" for discussion and implementation - that seems to be reasonable or why isn't it? :-?

The video codec used on bluray are h264/hevc, resolutions are 1080p or 4K. 'Our' only CPU capable handling 1080p would be the G5. Playing 1080p/h264 media I get 60-80 % load on my PCIe G5.

Playing 4K/h264 content is too much for the G5, playing 1080p/hevc also. hevc/h265 seems a more costly codec compared to h264. My G5 can barely do 720p/hevc, nothing more.

You can try that all of course yourself on your G5 on Linux where your would find the Bluray software requirements met you asked for. ;-)

So current state on MorphOS is that most G5 (or the P5020 of an X5000) will play most 1080p content just fine but nothing more. For Bluray-disc support you would need to buy an additional USB-BD-drive or swap your DVD-drive out with a SATA BD-drive. Decoding the BD via libbluray needs additional CPU power, reading via USB also I can imagine. Probably you would get away with some frameskips and close to 100 % load on a 2.3GHz G5.

IMHO that's much effort for very little gain. But you can already try it out on Linux as said and see for yourself if it's worth.

We can play 1080p content already on MorphOS. For 4K content we would need a much faster multicore CPU + multicore support in MorphOS or a 4K Radeon + h264/h265/hevc hardware decoding support which all is not supported on MorphOS and won't be for quite some time I guess.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »11.11.23 - 13:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > being unable to format a partition of less than 500GB
    > is a real handicap for MorphOS

Formatting an SFS partition of less than 500 GB should be no problem, as long as it's also less than 128 GiB ;-)

> to be able to download file sizes [...] (4.3GB or 8GB [...]) is extremely limiting.

And here I thought the limiting would be in *not* being able to do this ;-)

> why are we still using a PowerPC hardware and a Power PC Operating System?

Because the port of MorphOS to x64/AMD64 has not been finished/released yet ;-)
  • »11.11.23 - 21:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the P5020 of an X5000 [...] will play most 1080p content just fine
    > but nothing more.

Indeed. And that's also true for the P5040 of the currently sold X5000 systems, even if it has 200 MHz more to offer.
  • »11.11.23 - 21:46