• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:
    Then why are we still using a PowerPC hardware and a Power PC Operating System? If we are still using PPC as our hardware and OS then anything that relates to those aspects should be "on the table" for discussion and implementation - that seems to be reasonable or why isn't it? :-?

The video codec used on bluray are h264/hevc, resolutions are 1080p or 4K. 'Our' only CPU capable handling 1080p would be the G5. Playing 1080p/h264 media I get 60-80 % load on my PCIe G5.

Playing 4K/h264 content is too much for the G5, playing 1080p/hevc also. hevc/h265 seems a more costly codec compared to h264. My G5 can barely do 720p/hevc, nothing more.

You can try that all of course yourself on your G5 on Linux where your would find the Bluray software requirements met you asked for. ;-)

So current state on MorphOS is that most G5 (or the P5020 of an X5000) will play most 1080p content just fine but nothing more. For Bluray-disc support you would need to buy an additional USB-BD-drive or swap your DVD-drive out with a SATA BD-drive. Decoding the BD via libbluray needs additional CPU power, reading via USB also I can imagine. Probably you would get away with some frameskips and close to 100 % load on a 2.3GHz G5.

IMHO that's much effort for very little gain. But you can already try it out on Linux as said and see for yourself if it's worth.

We can play 1080p content already on MorphOS. For 4K content we would need a much faster multicore CPU + multicore support in MorphOS or a 4K Radeon + h264/h265/hevc hardware decoding support which all is not supported on MorphOS and won't be for quite some time I guess.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »11.11.23 - 13:05