• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The average user [...] will look for cards that were used in computers running
    > Windows or Linux, or labeled as PC, or x86 compatible.

Exactly. It seems you finally got my point.

> If you do such searches, you will see, as I did, on all of the ATI boxes and
    > most if not all specifications listed in sale or auction listings, that these "PC",
    > or "x86" cards are listed as Windows video cards.

I didn't see that ("Windows video cards"). What I see listed in the manuals of the older cards as *operating system* requirement is Windows (because of official driver support), but as *hardware* requirement I see listed "PC" together with some x86 processor names and clock frequency.

> Why certain people feel they need [...] to criticize my use of the
    > word Windows to describe these video cards is a mystery to me

I can demystify that one for you. It is my sincere opinion that using terms like "Windows video cards" or "Windows bios" can only help to confuse recent and future MorphOS users who look for information on which graphics cards to use in a PowerMac running MorphOS. All reflashing guides I came across on the net use the term "PC", not "Windows". So I see no reason to "invent" a term that has no advantage over the technically more correct term.

> unless it is for the sole intent to violate the forum posting guidelines here

Expressing opinion is *not* violating the MorphZone forum posting guidelines, as far as I'm aware.
  • »22.11.10 - 13:40