• Just looking around
    Trev
    Just for the sake of being pedantic, here's how the PCI specification labels expansion ROM code:

Intel x86, PC-AT compatible
    Open Firmware standard for PCI
    Hewlett-Packard PA RISC
    Extensible Firmware Inteface (EFI)

Open Firmware is not specific to PowerPC, although there are platform specific bindings for PowerPC.

An expansion ROM can contain one or more images of any combination of code. The host system is responsible for finding, loading, and executing the correct image.

EDIT:

Quote:

or on PPC hardware with x86 emulator incorporated into the computer's firmware.

And many other platforms. The earliest use of SciTech's x86emu I know of was in the MILO bootloader on Alpha systems. Is anyone using anything other than x86emu to bootstrap x68 ROM images on foreign systems? Probably not, since it's still maintained as part of X.org under an industry friendly license. (And obviously, its use isn't restricted to firmware.)

@amigadave

What do you need exactly? http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2 has vanilla and modified images for both of the boards you listed. For my own Radeon 9250, I started with the vanilla 9200 revision 201 image and modified it myself to make it fit in 64K of flash. (The "reduced" images at The Mac Elite look like they came out of a chop shop.) I also changed the core and memory clock frequencies to 238.5 MHz and 166.5 MHz, respectively, to match the factory specifications of my particular card. (The product specification reports 240 MHz and 400 Mhz DDR; however, the x86 ROM initializes the card to the correct values.) I'm still working on extending memory support to 256 MB; however, if the Mac OS X and MorphOS drivers only use one aperture, there's not much point. (I think.)

[ Edited by Trev on 2010/11/21 14:46 ]
  • »21.11.10 - 22:36