CPU cards G4 for MorphOS 2.6
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I was/am under the impression that the 2.0GHz G4 upgrade CPU's might have an
    > even lower chance of being MorphOS compatible than the 1.6GHz & 1.8GHz models.

I referred to the 2.0 GHz 7447A upgrades, not to the 2.0 GHz 7448 ones.

> The 2.0GHz CPU I was referring to is the G5

I know, but that is not what my question is aiming at.
  • »13.09.10 - 19:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    No, I do not see any difference in cost efficiency between the 1.6, 1.8, or 2.0GHz G4 upgrade CPU's.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »13.09.10 - 20:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    There are a few 1.4Ghz 7455 based Sonnet CPU upgrades floating around that might be useful on older Powermacs (and these usually sell for less than 1.6-2.0 Ghz upgrades).
    If you can get a third party CPU upgrade (poss. via Ebay) at a good price, then I can see their utility on Quicksilver and older Powermacs.
    Other than that, you might be right Dave. There isn't that much advantage over a 1.42 Ghz MDD processor.

I guess it really depends on how cheaply you can find the 1.25GHz & 1.42GHz G4 PowerMacs, compared to the cost of buying an older, slower G4 PowerMac & 1.4GHz G4 CPU upgrade. I have been fortunate to have found MDD G4's at very low prices.
  • »13.09.10 - 20:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I do not see any difference in cost efficiency between the 1.6, 1.8, or 2.0GHz G4
    > upgrade CPU's.

Thanks for clarification.
  • »13.09.10 - 20:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I don't know what benchmark test he ran, though, or if it's rather a matter of "felt" performance ;-)

Quake3 and geekbench :-)
  • »13.09.10 - 22:33
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    [
    I guess it really depends on how cheaply you can find the 1.25GHz & 1.42GHz G4 PowerMacs, compared to the cost of buying an older, slower G4 PowerMac & 1.4GHz G4 CPU upgrade. I have been fortunate to have found MDD G4's at very low prices.

No, I'd probably go with the MDD TOO. The MDD offers a slightly improved drive controller and a slight edge in performance (at comparable CPU speeds).
    Besides, you're right, MDDs can be had at a minimal premium over older Powermacs.

G4 Powermacs will provide expansion slots, but for faster CPUs we're going to have to wait for G5s.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.09.10 - 04:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

G4 Powermacs will provide expansion slots, but for faster CPUs we're going to have to wait for G5s.

Last night I read a post by Fab on another site that stated he had asked bigfoot to test running a 1080p HD movie file using MPlayer on his 2.7GHz G5 running MorphOS. Fab stated that it ran the HD movie with no problems, or was it with no lack of speed and power?

That is very encouraging to know that bigfoot already has MorphOS2.? running stable enough on any G5 to be able to run MPlayer and test a 1080p movie file on it.

Perhaps we will see a public release of MorphOS2.x on the G5 PowerMacs sooner than I had imagined or even hoped for!

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/9/15 9:48 ]
  • »15.09.10 - 16:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Fab stated that it ran the HD movie with no problems

Yes, and he stated even some more, albeit not relevant for MorphOS:

"OSX is jut not able to do it because of the additional overhead in the graphic system (or whatever)."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32428&forum=33#580833

Is it maybe that video replay doesn't benefit from SMP and thus can't leverage the second CPU core to make up for the additional overhead?
  • »15.09.10 - 17:28
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Well, some mplayer builds may not be SMP-aware, so i assume that the test is done on a single core. If OSX still doesn't manage to play it properly with 2 or more cores with an adequate ffmpeg/mplayer, there's definitely a big issue with OSX. :)
  • »15.09.10 - 17:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    If bigfoot ever has a free moment when he isn't doing anything more important, maybe he could upload to YouTube a video showing the difference in video quality between MorphOS+MPlayer and MacOSX+MPlayer (or any other HD movie file player)?
  • »15.09.10 - 18:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Quote:

Fab stated that (bigfoot's unreleased MorphOS on G5) ran the HD movie with no problems

Yes, and he stated even some more:

"OSX is jut not able to do it because of the additional overhead in the graphic system (or whatever)."

He he... MorphOS developers, please stop making more native applications, or we'll never find a reason to buy more powerful computers! :-D

And MorphOS doesn't even have all graphics acceleration functions... Who knows, perhaps GPU driver capabilities becomes more relevant than CPU speed in the future. Wait, it already is!
  • »16.09.10 - 12:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Bite your tongue jcmarcos! We need all the MorphOS native apps we can get.
  • »16.09.10 - 18:56