Powermac supported devices
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Yes, it runs on a Rage 128, and it's a new driver. Although without 3D support and without Enhanced Display, it's quite fast and usable, only with the little amount of vmem as a small drawback.
  • »28.09.10 - 09:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Yes, it runs on a Rage 128, and it's a new driver.

Thanks.
  • »28.09.10 - 11:40
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

The R100 was released in spring 2000 [1], i.e. between late March and late June. ArtX was purchased by ATI in February 2000 [2]. Very brief time frame.

Furthermore:

"ArtX paved the way for the development of ATI's R300 graphics processor (Radeon 9700) released in 2002 which formed the basis of ATI's consumer and professional products for three years afterward." [2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R100#R100
    [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArtX

So it seems R100 and R200 were developed without ArtX technology's influence.

I've read those Wikipedia listings as well. And we all know that Wiki listing are not 100% accurate.
    Considering the similarities between R200 and R300 architectures, I find the one statement questionable.

One thing is really clear, when ATI shifted from Rage to Radeon their designs changed radically. I was impressed by how much faster the R100 was then the fastest Rage128, but some features were missing and few other functions did not produce effects of the same quality.

If ArtX's only contribution was to the R300, then they still influenced ATI's most successful product design. DX9 and that particular family are still relevant today as the baseline for Vista and Win7 (for Aero functionality) only calls for a DX9 compatible card and this family can still produce relatively good frame rates.

Strangely enough, I still think I got better picture quality with the Rage 128. And their must be some ArtX people still at work at AMD since Ati's now getting the video console contracts ArtX used to get.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »28.09.10 - 21:42
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Sorry to shift course, but I have a question related to Powermac supported devices.

First, to forewarn any of you unfamiliar with my posts, I have a tendency to repeat/re-word questions till I get a complete answer (and this is one of those questions).

As many of you know I've got a Symbios Sym8952U SCSI controller installed in my Powermac running under Ubuntu. I already know that the Pegasos' Open Firmware allows booting from this controller.

I know it would not be possible to boot a Powermac from an 895. Further, I'm aware that not all the drivers that work on a Pegasos work flawlessly on the Powermac (although I do hope the Soundblaster driver problem will be solved before 2.6 is released). But what prevents the driver for SCSI cards from functioning once a Powermac is booted from an ATA drive?

This works under Ubuntu (quite possibly because the Pegasos is also supported under PPC Ubuntu). Why not under MorphOS?
  • »28.09.10 - 21:54
  • Just looking around
    g4QS_redux
    Apart from a functioning driver, a special firmware is apparently also required to allow Power Macintosh computers to boot from a hard disk drive connected with a SCSI controller in one of the PCI slots. To allow a computer to boot an operating system from a device connected to a PCI card, this means, of course, that the card?s firmware must be loaded even before the operating system is being started. I think that among other companies Adaptec specialized in the production of bootable and non-bootable SCSI cards for Power Macs. Not all of Adaptec?s PCI SCSI cards let Macs boot from attached hard disk drives, for some of them were preferably used to connect scanners or similar devices!

AFAIK Adaptec sold SCSI cards for PCI slots in versions for Power Macintosh computers, whilst other revisions of the same cards could only be used in x86 systems, for there were differences in firmware revisions. Needless to say that those SCSI cards suitable for Macs were more expensive;)

I guess this is similar to the issues with different firmwares for graphics cards, with PC and Macintosh versions available.

Here you can find information concerning Adaptec SCSI cards in PowerMacs:

http://www.macintouch.com/bg3adaptec.html

Well, e.g. the Adaptec 2930 would now be an option to you regarding its "bootability". Yet, it seems that MorphOS does not offer a driver for it(?), for here is a comprehensive list of SCSI adapters supported by this operating system:

http://www.morphos-team.net/hardware.html

> But what prevents the driver for SCSI cards from functioning once a Powermac is booted from an ATA drive?

I could imagine that a PCI card?s firmware revision which is missing or not corresponding with a particular mainboard might prevent the driver for SCSI cards from functioning.

Please, let us know if you are successful with a particular SCSI card, booting MorphOS from it on a PowerMac.
  • »29.09.10 - 00:16
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    That wasn't really my intention. I'm already using the Sym8952U in my Powermac under Ubuntu once its booted from a standard ATA133 drive connected to the on board controller.

Once the system is booted, the cards firmware is irrelevant. The SCSI LVD drive connected to the controller can be partitioned, formatted, and mounted for use under Ubuntu. It just can't be booted from (since the firmware is not Powermac compatible).

Again, the question is, why can't I do the same (as I can under Ubuntu) under MorphOS (once released) - boot from an ATA drive and use the SCSI drives as secondary storage?

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/9/29 1:35 ]
  • »29.09.10 - 00:34
    Golem
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Again, the question is, why can't I do the same (as I can under Ubuntu) under MorphOS (once released) - boot from an ATA drive and use the SCSI drives as secondary storage?

Who said said you can't do that?
  • »29.09.10 - 11:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Thanks Golem,
    I thought it might be a possibility, but everyone kept talking about the on board firmware (which really only seemed important to booting).
    Since the controller is already installed, I'll know once 2.6 is released.
  • »29.09.10 - 14:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @Jim
    probably these SCSI controllers (SYMBIOS) are not supported by default in the Open Firmware of Apple PowerMac, so no bootstrap of the KERNEL from the units connected, but when run the kernel (es. in a partition of the PATA HD), then you could use a SCSI unit as boot partition of MorphOS.
    Is It correct MorphOS team ? :-)
  • »29.09.10 - 15:44
    Simon
    I just got my PowerMac Quiksilver 800 (dualcpu). I would be very interested in the fact what cpu upgrades will work and/or are tested. Sonnet 1Ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.6Ghz, 1.8Ghz , powerlogix 2ghz ...
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »01.10.10 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @Oepabakkes

At Geit's party there was a Sonnet G4 (probably @1600 or @1800 single G4 CPU) working
    http://www.geit.de/eng_geitmeeting24092010.html
    http://www.geit.de/images/hm24092010/images/img_0950.jpg

I have one of this card (@1600), when relased MorphOS 2.6, sure I' ll tell you.

(Only G4 7448 models CPU G4 not supported at the moment ?)

[ Edited by Divinity on 2010/10/3 10:24 ]
  • »03.10.10 - 09:23
      analogkid
      @Divinity

It was a Sonnet 1Ghz 7455 single CPU upgrade.
    • »03.10.10 - 09:55
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      Divinity
      @analogkid
      ah OK, thanks for the info :-)
    • »03.10.10 - 10:04
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Andreas_Wolf
      > It is thought that processor boards clocked <500MHz may (as a rule of thumb) use
      > MPC7400/7410 processors, whereas those clocked higher may use MPC7450.
      > [...]
      > [ Edited by boot_wb on 2010/9/30 18:03 ]

...is still false. See there.
    • »03.10.10 - 16:18
    • Jim
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Jim
      So, by that reference can I assume a 1.4 Ghz Sonnet 7455 upgrade would work?
    • »03.10.10 - 16:45
      boot_wb
      I've modified it.

Since there seems to be no hard and fast information (at least none referenced) wrt which models have 7410/7450 processors, and given the abundance of caveats around the statement (which, in itself, is given only as a 'rule of thumb), I doubt that anyone will take it as gospel.
      www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
      HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
      Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
    • »03.10.10 - 17:27
      Profile Visit Website
      Simon
      What kind of G4 is used in the G4 1.4 minimac ?

• »03.10.10 - 18:31
      Profile Visit Website
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      Divinity
      @Oepabakkes

7447a
    • »03.10.10 - 18:59
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Andreas_Wolf
      >> What kind of G4 is used in the G4 1.4 minimac ?

> 7447a

It's rather the (inofficial) 7447B, which is often imprecisely subsumed as 7447A. See:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6560&forum=11&start=7
    • »03.10.10 - 21:05
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Andreas_Wolf
      > I've modified it.

Thanks.

> there seems to be no hard and fast information (at least none referenced)
      > wrt which models have 7410/7450 processors

It's in a posting of mine which you already replied to:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7332&forum=11&post_id=76248#76248

You just have to ignore the "(not) supported" classification as it is based on false information previously provided by pega-1. The assignment of exact G4 type(s) to specific PowerMac G4 models is genuine though. My source for this has been:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html

> I doubt that anyone will take it as gospel.

I hope that after the recent modification it's safe to take it as that ;-)
    • »03.10.10 - 21:22
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      Everblue
      Any news on PowerMac support dates? I have been waiting for this one since January :P
    • »05.10.10 - 06:51
      stephen_robinson
      I notice a lot of Powerbooks in that last PowerDev meeting, will this be part of the 2.6 release?
    • »05.10.10 - 07:10
      analogkid
      @stephen_robinson

You mean PowerDev at Geit? It were two Powerbooks, IIRC.
      And no, PB support won't be part of MorphOS 2.6 ...
    • »05.10.10 - 08:11
      Simon
      So if a Sonnet 1.4Ghz upgrade uses the 7447a or b it's safe to assume it will work with MorphOS ?

• »05.10.10 - 08:54
      Profile Visit Website
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      Bifford
      Do you folks have any idea if and when the GeForce 4MX will be supported? This is what my MDD PowerMac G4 has inside it.

Sam / Bifford
      ========
      Bifford the Youngest

My Website at: www.whiteharegames.co.uk/
    • »14.10.10 - 22:04
      Profile Visit Website