• Just looking around
    g4QS_redux
    > The fact that they also work with 2 GiB RAM is
    > more or less unofficial. I don't know where
    > boot_wb's "Max 1GB" for the PowerMac3,1 comes
    > from, though.

Yes, indeed. Unofficial in the sense that several (Macintosh OS) users, including myself[*], have stated that they can operate their early AGP-Macs with 2GB of physical memory when running Mac OS X. Maybe boot_wb got that information from official web sites of the Apple company which have not been updated anymore. Or Apple might not have offered warranty to users who used 512MB memory bars in their early Power Macintosh G4 (AGP) Macs, so they did not intend to encourage them to swap memory bars; something like that might have led to contradictory statements on the internet.

At the point in time these early G4 Macs were released, in 1999 or something, 512MB bars for these machines were simply not available to average customers; maybe they were still developing at that point in time(?).

Power Macintosh G4 (PCI) boards are, however, limited to a maximum of 1GB physical memory; the ones MorphOS developers do not support.

[*] I have just upgraded my Power Macintosh G4 (AGP), 350MHz (i.e. "PowerMac3,1") to the maximum of 2GB. I took three of the four RAM modules required for doing this from my Quicksilver 800. This G4 Mac (350MHz) recognizes the full RAM of 2GB if I use Debian Linux ("Squeeze Testing"), Mac OS X, and even Mac OS 9. I was really surprised that even Mac OS 9 supports 2GB ("1,99GB") if I add the memory bars to this comparatively old G4 model.

Yet, I am not sure if I will upgrade the hardware components of this Macintosh to 500MHz if this becomes necessary to run MorphOS on it. For I might not dare to do this as I use this machine for productivity purposes. We shall see if it works in a satisfying way when MorphOS 2.6 is released. If it is even possible to run MorphOS on comparatively slow machines like Efika boards, however, I think a processor speed of 350MHz should not be too problematic.

Btw, I really like boot_wb's list. Thanks for the new information! It has become an extensive overview for people who are interested in running future releases of MorphOS on PowerMac G4 hardware (apart from what is already possible, G4 mini and eMac 1,25). Maybe you want to update this list if MorphOS 2.6 will be released in the future and tell others which PowerMacs G4 it works on? The basis would be user reports, of course.
  • »31.08.10 - 21:47