• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    As a user, not an insider I can only repeat what I've been told and speculate on the other points.
    USB onboard should be supported, but drivers already exist for NEC based UBB 2.0 cards. They're available at a low cost. The one I purchased works in Macs or PCs (I currently have it working under OSX). It has four external connections and one internal connector.
    LAN has always been supported on new releases. Its modem and wireless support that seems unlikely.
    Sound was supported for Mac Minis and eMacs, so its likely to be supported for Powermacs. The current driver does seems to have some issues (in particular low volume). However, from everything posted in this (and other) threads, Soundblaster Live cards should work (they're cheap too). I wouldn't be surprised to see other audio cards supported in the future.

Golem's point on disk controllers makes an SATA controller look attractive as an alternate to the built in PATA controller. In order to boot from it, a disk controller will have to be recognized by Mac firmware. We'll have to see what the developers support, but I am seriously psyched. Shader support on video cards (and higher end video cards), support for Macs with an expansion bus, possible future support for G5s; WOW!

And some people on this site (and others) think I'm too optimistic?
    Hey, if we get these things, our OS is going to kick serious ass (actually, it already does - this will just elevate it to a new level).

Welcome to the future Amigans, where the promises made to you are actually fulfilled. I can't thank the developers enough for their time, focus, and commitment to finishing what they start.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.08.10 - 15:35