Video cards
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    That's a curious design. I wonder if PCI will bottleneck performance?
    One thing we can still be fairly sure of, even if AGP Radeon HD cards start to become common they won't work in a Peg.

"Pantaloon"! I don't think I've ever seen that word used before. Hilarious.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »01.02.11 - 16:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wonder if PCI will bottleneck performance?

From a December's review at Newegg, awarding 4/5 eggs:

"Runs Doom 3 (despite being outdated) at a nice framerate (smoother than my ATI Radeon 9200 AGP), however in some spots it's still slow but not too slow (10-15 FPS). [...] PCI is slow but if you are going to do simple OpenGL stuff or do anything not super intensive (Quake 3 and such), you will be fine. [...] If you have AGP or PCIe, use those instead of this card if you want performance."

> even if AGP Radeon HD cards start to become common

I don't know about "common", but so far they've been available for every Radeon generation through HD4000 (R700) at least.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7261&forum=11&start=39

> they won't work in a Peg.

Yes, that's also my take on this.

> "Pantaloon"! I don't think I've ever seen that word used before. Hilarious.

My dictionary presented this as one possible translation of the German "Hanswurst" ;-)
  • »01.02.11 - 16:31
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes, I'm aware of the 4650 and 4670 AGP cards and I've owned older cards like the AGP version of the 3850 (which I found to be an more even performer than a lot of later cards).

And yes, pantaloon's is a completely valid word, its just no longer in common use any more (its like reading an old term from a Dickens novel).
  • »01.02.11 - 16:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:

> "Pantaloon"! I don't think I've ever seen that word used before. Hilarious.

My dictionary presented this as one possible translation of the German "Hanswurst" ;-)

Wow - neither leo.org nor dict.tu-chmenitz.de know this word. Let me guess: you're using a Pons "Großwörterbuch ". It's on page 1624 in the 4th edition. Nice word!
    My Collier's dictionary says the word comes from the Italian comedy and is as PAntalone a nickname for Venezian saints

[ Editiert durch Zylesea an 2011/2/1 18:20 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »01.02.11 - 17:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > neither leo.org nor dict.tu-chmenitz.de know this word.
    > Let me guess: you're using a Pons "Großwörterbuch ".

Actually, I used dict.cc as "my dictionary" ;-)

http://www.dict.cc/?s=hanswurst

Interesting:

"Many thanks to Frank Richter: The vocabulary of dict.cc is based on the word list he released at dict.tu-chemnitz.de."
    http://www.dict.cc/?s=about%3A&l=e

So it seems "pantaloon" has been added to dict.cc at a later date.
  • »01.02.11 - 17:29
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Congratulations Andreas. Not only is your English concise and well worded, but your functional vocabulary is larger than most people that speak English as their primary language.

[ Edited by Jim on 2011/2/1 19:20 ]
  • »01.02.11 - 19:08