• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I doubt a G5 for MorphOS will cut it either. We will probably see no SMP (as far as one can
    > say it is just not possible w/o breaking the compability). And with one core only the 970 isn't
    > that much superior over the e600 core.

One PPC970FX core at 2.7 GHz vs. one e600 core at < 2.0 GHz :-)

Well,I didn't said the 970 wouldn't be superior, just not *that much*. The question now is how much this "that much" actually is and if the effort is worth the benefit?
    *My* stance on this would probably be: Do the unevitably big cut once the G4 field is grazed. But OTOH I cannot really judge how much effort support for the 970 would be. And some AMP work (which would be beneficial for 970 support) could be tackled with dual g4 cards already. Anyway my current needs are catered well with my mini. I guess the G4s will be fairly okay for the next few years and the next hardware update will be required in about 2-5 years. Dunno if this time could be sufficient to do the big cut. But would be the alternative..?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »07.01.10 - 07:33
    Profile Visit Website