• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

SMF wrote:
    Looks like a good machine, would be nice to be able to continue dualboot os4/mos when my peg2's are retired and hopefully sold after buying this machine

Quote:

arnljot wrote:
    The idea that MOS and AOS most likely won't be dualbooting on a highend PPC machine any time soon doesn't substract from my love from either of the systems.

Want high end? Ask Hyperion to port OS4 to the Mac Mini then. Or PowerMac if you want it more expandable and (for some reason) dual core. Faster, and most certainly ahelluvalot cheaper.

The CPU in this new "A1" is Power ISA 2.04. I don't know if Wikipedia's info about this is correct and complete, but they only list *two* cores compliant with this ISA:

1) Titan from AMCC (the first model "APM 83290" (dual core) began sampling in October 2009)
    2) PA6T (the first and last of the "PWRficient") from P.A. Semi

http://tinyurl.com/yz5r6bm

The first is a dual core, has the clock frequency and wattage that match, but can it really provide all that PCI-E bandwidth? And is it really that "high end" after all? Seems like it compares to available Freescale e500 ("G3") PowerQUICC III CPU's, which is also the processors AMCC has identified as the main competitors, according to some article I read. But it will obviously come in more versions later on, a single core and a quad core as well, and it was said on "a-eon" web page that the motherboard "will come with a variety of CPUs", so...

The second is also dual core, has the clock frequency and wattage that match, it can provide the PCI-e bandwidth. But PA Semi doesn't exist anymore, and no new chips are coming. So much for "a variety of CPUs"...

My bet is on the Titan (provided it can handle the PCI-E bandwidth, of which I am totally clueless). Looks like a cool chip in many ways, but not really sexy, at least not compared to the Macs out there...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.01.10 - 19:51