• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Let's hope that the X2000 isn't a fraction as costly as the monstrously overpriced X1000

"Trevor told me (at the Silicon Dreams VCF show) that the cheaper (dual-core) version will be similar in price to the X1000, but they will actually make a profit on this one (unlike the X1000) that will allow future developments, while the POSSIBLE future quad-core one will be even more expensive."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6820#90551

I am afraid the continued interest and backlog of orders for the X1000 has not given A-Eon and AmigaKit any incentive to choose a cheaper alternative that could be sold at a price lower than the existing X1000. No doubt they could sell more computers, if they could price them closer to the current price of a SAM system, but it appears that they are not aiming for thousands of sales and may be content with the same few hundred units sold, like the current X1000. They appear to be keeping their sales aimed squarely at the high end AmigaOS4.x users and are content to leave the lower end of that market to A-Cube's SAM systems (though I do not consider them to be cheap, by any stretch of the imagination). Also, if you read further in the thread quoted by AW, AmigaKit states that nobody knows what the price of Freescale chips will be by the time the X2000 (or what ever it will be called) is ready for production and sales to the public. The price of the next system(s) from A-Eon and AmigaKit is totally unknown and could change many times between a rough guess a few weeks ago, to the actual price that will be charged 9 to 18 months from now.

I like Trevor very much, and have a high degree of admiration for him being able to follow his dream all the way to a real product (as so many others have failed to accomplish in this community), but I like the path that the MorphOS Dev. Team has chosen, as it is the most sensible direction to follow for the majority of users interested in a Next Gen. Amiga system, that has also naturally grown out of the original Amiga + PPC hybrid accelerators of the 1990's. AROS is easily the direction that makes the most sense, but it has taken so long to mature and is still behind MorphOS in many ways, I think it had lost the interest of many users. Now that AROS is making some progress, it will be interesting to see which direction will make the most sense for the future. My hope is still that the AROS and MorphOS Dev. Team will merge together, when the time comes for MorhpOS to migrate to the x86/x64 platform.

I think the combination of AROS developers and MorphOS Dev. Team members, will be an unbeatable force for the future of Amiga-Like computing.

Just my 2 cents,

[ Edited by amigadave 21.07.2013 - 11:52 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.07.13 - 19:35