• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The "mental concept" I "attempted" to put into the word "when" is in fact what "when"
    > in such sentence constructions means usually. It is what is listed in dictionaries such
    > as the entry I referred you to

Fair enough. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't understand what the point that it has not been sold has to do with anything, as reviews do not depend on the reviewed device being sold or not.

> is pretty much what HenryCase described to you at #177

No. In #177 he said that he understood that I saw a logical contradiction in the phrase "when not only hasn't it been reviewed, but it hasn't been sold". So it's obvious that in #177 not only didn't he understand that my question was about the kind of connection "when" creates between the part succeeding "when" and the part preceding "when" (and not only about the part succeeding "when" like he assumed), but also where it was that I saw the logical contradiction. In fact, what he tried to explain to me in #177 was the meaning of the "...not only [...], but..." construction contained in the part succeeding "when", which wasn't ever subject to any of my questions.

> whether or not you understood him

You may both be native English speakers but that doesn't mean you're immune from misunderstanding each other, as shown in #181.

> I meant the sentence as a complete sentence, and that it was misleading to slice it up

I don't think it's misleading. The part succeeding "when" is basically an enumeration of three points. It is *not* misleading to not refer to all enumeration points at once but only to some or even one single of them. It's also not misleading to refer to those points one by one.

> I don't believe you have ever quoted it completely

You're absolutely correct.

> would you mind doing so just once

No problem:

"It is a substantial mistake to inform MZ readers that the "CherryPad 2" has been reviewed, when not only hasn't it been reviewed, but it hasn't been sold, and even its existence is in some doubt (except perhaps as a tenuously-connected Chinese unit that could be rebranded)."

> I will then make the attempt to explain to you in other words "what the point" is

I'm looking forward to it. And could you please rephrase the one statement from your previous posting I said I failed to get the meaning of?
  • »07.09.11 - 15:21